Police arrest 17-year-old student for alleged kidnap, killing of five-year-old child

 

A 17-year-old student in Plateau State, Elijah Anthony, has been arrested by operatives of the State Police Command for allegedly killing his neighbour’s five-year-old child after collecting N400,000 in ransom from the victim’s parents.

Anthony, a Senior Secondary student of Manret High School in Angul D community, Jos South Local Government Area of Plateau State, was among 39 other suspects paraded for various offences at the police command’s headquarters in Jos on Thursday.

In an interview with The PUNCH, Anthony, who confessed to killing the five-year-old neighbour identified as Dawom Pam, said, “They sent his (victim’s) elder brother to buy something and the little boy was behind him. So, I and my friend carried the boy and hid him somewhere in an uncompleted building

“Later, the parents of the boy came looking for him and I also pretended and joined them in the search for their missing child but I did not take them to where the boy was hidden.

“Later we demanded N5 million, but we were able to get N400,000. But five days later, the boy was killed. I was the one that killed him because I fear he might tell his parents that I was the one that kidnapped him if we had released him”.

 

The suspect, who expressed regrets over the incident, blamed his action on the hardship going on in the country

He said, “I was in my house when the police came and arrested me. It is the hardship that drove me into kidnapping and killing. I was supposed to write WAEC this year but I didn’t. Please, forgive me.”

The State Commissioner of Police, Okoro Julius Alawari, who paraded Anthony and 39 other suspects, disclosed that the corpse of the five-year-old child had been recovered from a swampy place near the uncompleted building where he was dumped by the suspects and handed over to his parents for burial.

He said all 39 suspects would be prosecuted when investigations were concluded.

  • Related Posts

    Wike orders demolition of houses built on waterways after FCT flooding

      Federal Capital Territory Minister, Nyesom Wike, has ordered the demolition of houses built on designated water channels in Abuja, warning that structures obstructing waterways will be removed. Wike gave…

    NDLEA seizes 184kg of cocaine from Lagos courier firm, arrests socialite KC Luxury

      The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) says its operatives have seized 184.5 kilogrammes of cocaine from a courier company. The agency described the operation as its largest seizure…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Wike orders demolition of houses built on waterways after FCT flooding

    • By admin
    • August 18, 2026
    • 3 views
    Wike orders demolition of houses built on waterways after FCT flooding

    Over 20 People Feared Killed In Attack On Plateau Community

    • By admin
    • August 18, 2026
    • 2 views
    Over 20 People Feared Killed In Attack On Plateau Community

    Cement cheaper in Kenya, Togo than Nigeria — FCCPC probe

    • By admin
    • August 18, 2026
    • 3 views
    Cement cheaper in Kenya, Togo than Nigeria — FCCPC probe

    Wike: I’d have helped Tinubu win Osun if he wanted — Adeleke could do nothing

    • By admin
    • August 18, 2026
    • 4 views
    Wike: I’d have helped Tinubu win Osun if he wanted — Adeleke could do nothing

    US lifts 12-year restriction on vessels calling at Nigerian ports

    • By admin
    • August 18, 2026
    • 4 views
    US lifts 12-year restriction on vessels calling at Nigerian ports

    NDLEA seizes 184kg of cocaine from Lagos courier firm, arrests socialite KC Luxury

    • By admin
    • August 18, 2026
    • 6 views
    NDLEA seizes 184kg of cocaine from Lagos courier firm, arrests socialite KC Luxury