Police Arrest Two Over Trans-Niger Pipeline Explosion In Rivers

 

Police authorities in Rivers have arrested two persons over the Trans-Niger Pipeline explosion that rocked the Bodo community of the state and have also begun an investigation into the matter.

 

The explosion which ripped through the mangrove happened on Monday night but has been put out.

However, the spokesperson of the Rivers State Police Command Grace Iringe-Iroko said some persons have been taken in for questioning over the incident.

“The Rivers State Police Command has commenced a thorough investigation to determine the cause of the fire. In connection with this, two individuals have been taken in for questioning as part of efforts to uncover any potential act of sabotage,” the police spokesperson said in a statement issued on Tuesday.

Rivers is a major oil-producing state in Nigeria.

According to her, security operatives during a night patrol observed the incident which happened at the border of Kpor and Bodo communities, and alerted the Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC) which operates the pipeline.

“The latter initiated necessary safety protocols, including shutting down the affected pipeline,” Iringe-Iroko said.

“As a result of swift intervention, the situation is now under control, and there is no further threat to residents or the environment.”

In videos of the explosion, thick black smoke was seen billowing into the sky as the fire surged into the mangrove.

Some residents of the area were later seen around the scene of the incident trying to keep watch over the place.

The Minister of Regional Affairs Abubakar Momoh had earlier said details of the incident are sketchy but investigations are ongoing over the explosion.

“Up till this moment, we have not been able to get clear details as to what caused that very explosion but investigations are going on,” the minister said on Channels Television’s Lunchtime Politics.

He, however, said “a clear picture” of what happened will be revealed, “in due time”.

Related Posts

Police Arrest Suspected Mastermind Of Mangu Attack That Killed 25

  The Plateau State Police Command has arrested a suspect in connection with the killing of 25 people and the injury of four others in Tuesday morning’s attack on Bi…

Tinubu redirects EFCC-recovered funds, unclaimed dividends to student loan scheme

  President Bola Tinubu has directed that recovered funds from the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission be diverted to the Nigerian Education Loan Fund to sustain its growing funding obligations.…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

Police Arrest Suspected Mastermind Of Mangu Attack That Killed 25

  • By admin
  • August 19, 2026
  • 3 views
Police Arrest Suspected Mastermind Of Mangu Attack That Killed 25

Tinubu redirects EFCC-recovered funds, unclaimed dividends to student loan scheme

  • By admin
  • August 19, 2026
  • 2 views
Tinubu redirects EFCC-recovered funds, unclaimed dividends to student loan scheme

Gunfire erupts in Osogbo as hoodlums attack Adeleke’s convoy

  • By admin
  • August 19, 2026
  • 6 views
Gunfire erupts in Osogbo as hoodlums attack Adeleke’s convoy

Police kill two suspected kidnappers, recover arms in Anambra

  • By admin
  • August 19, 2026
  • 6 views
Police kill two suspected kidnappers, recover arms in Anambra

Many tourists feared dead as helicopter crashes in Kenya

  • By admin
  • August 19, 2026
  • 5 views
Many tourists feared dead as helicopter crashes in Kenya

Iran’s armed forces warn Gulf countries against assisting US military

  • By admin
  • August 19, 2026
  • 11 views
Iran’s armed forces warn Gulf countries against assisting US military