Police summon Imo journalist

 

Journalists in Owerri, Imo State have expressed concerns over the invitation of the Editor-in-Chief of the Nigerian Newspoint newspaper, Mr Lambert Ojukwu, by the police, describing it as a subtle intimidation of media personnel by the comman, Punch reports.

Ojukwu was recently summoned to the Imo State Police Command, for interrogation over a news report

The Police summon dated September 29th, 2025 was signed by a Deputy Commissioner of Police, T. A. Dashuwar of the Criminal Investigation Department.

The summon said Ojukwu was invited following a complaint from the Imo State Commissioner for Trade, Commerce, and Investment, Barrister Rex Anunobi over alleged conspiracy/criminal defamation and conduct likely to cause breach of peace.

The summon with reference: CR: 3000/IMS/CID/D3/VOLH/133 was titled Police invitation “re-case of conspiracy/criminal defamation and conduct likely to cause breach of peace”.

It read “this office is investigating the above mentioned case reported against you by Chief Bar Rex Anumobi, Hon. Commissioner for Trade Commerce and Investment.

“You are requested to Interview the Deputy Commissioner of Police, State Criminal Investigation Department Owerri, through the Officer in-Charge of Anti-Fraud Section (D3), State Criminal Investigation Department Owerri, Imo State Police Command. This invitation is fact finding and provided for in Section 53 (2) (a) of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act 2015. Date: Friday 3rd October, 2025. Time: 10:00 AM”.

However the time was shifted to Tuesday, October 7th by 10am at the Police headquarters Owerri.

Meanwhile, journalists who pleaded anonymity told South East Punch that the Police was gradually becoming a tool for witch hunt by government officials against private citizens in the State.

Meanwhile, the Journalist, Mr Ojukwu has promised to honour the invitation and called for fairness by the investigation team.

Only recently, another journalist and editor, EjikeOgbonna was released from the Owerri Correctional Centre where he was held for one month after his arraignment for alleged cyberstalking charges against another government official.

Related Posts

Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

  Iran put to death over 2,150 people last year, a “staggering” increase that pushed recorded worldwide executions to their highest level since 1981, Amnesty International said Monday. Amnesty said…

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

  The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern. In a statement…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

Nigeria, US forces killled over 20 ISWAP fighters in fresh operation -DHQ

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 13 views
Nigeria, US forces killled over 20 ISWAP fighters in fresh operation -DHQ

Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 5 views
Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher

Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 5 views
Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 5 views
Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 5 views
SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 11 views
WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda