Probe rights abuse under past government, Amnesty International tells Tinubu

 

An international human rights group, Amnesty International, has called on President Bola Tinubu to probe cases of rights violations under the past government.

The group’s Country Director, Isa Sanusi, made the call in Abuja on Wednesday at a public presentation of a document titled, ‘Nigeria: Human Rights Agenda 2023.’

He said it was important for the present administration to hold those responsible for past rights violations to account.

Sanusi said, “The President should hold perpetrators of past rights violations to account.

“The President must ensure that human rights are at the centre of his policies. He must implement the recommendations of previous investigation panels on human rights violations, and promptly, thoroughly, impartially, independently, effectively, and transparently investigate human rights violations under the past government to ensure justice and accountability.”

He said copies of the document had been distributed to the President and other senior government officials in an effort to assist them in devising a fresh plan of action in response to human rights abuses.

“We implore the government to make human rights protection its priority by ensuring that every Nigerian’s rights are protected and that perpetrators of rights breaches do not go unpunished.

“We appeal to the government to study the document and come up with a plan on how to implement it,” he added.

The group’s board chairman, Auwal Rafsanjani, said the organisation was not “anti-government,” but rather against the flagrant abuses of human rights that are pervasive in the nation.

Rafsanjani called on the authorities to protect citizens’ rights and, in the case that they are violated, to look into the matter and bring those responsible to justice.

Emphasising Nigerians’ rights to life, free speech, and assembly, among other things, he lamented Nigerians’ declining economic standing, which he attributed to government corruption.

  • Related Posts

    US judge strikes down Trump visa ban affecting Nigeria, 74 other countries

      A United States District Court in Manhattan has nullified the Donald Trump administration’s policy suspending the processing and issuance of immigrant visas to applicants from 75 countries, including Nigeria.…

    ICPC uncovers fake agency in OSGF

      President Bola Tinubu has ordered the immediate arrest of George Nwabueze over the alleged operation of a fake government agency within the premises of the office of the secretary…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    US judge strikes down Trump visa ban affecting Nigeria, 74 other countries

    • By admin
    • August 22, 2026
    • 3 views
    US judge strikes down Trump visa ban affecting Nigeria, 74 other countries

    Gunmen attack Niger mosque, abduct worshippers

    • By admin
    • August 22, 2026
    • 6 views
    Gunmen attack Niger mosque, abduct worshippers

    Tinubu constitutes APC 2027 presidential campaign council, names Yari DG

    • By admin
    • August 22, 2026
    • 8 views
    Tinubu constitutes APC 2027 presidential campaign council, names Yari DG

    ICPC uncovers fake agency in OSGF

    • By admin
    • August 21, 2026
    • 4 views
    ICPC uncovers fake agency in OSGF

    FACT-CHECK: Video of Lagos residents scooping diesel in October 2023, trends again

    • By admin
    • August 21, 2026
    • 12 views
    FACT-CHECK: Video of Lagos residents scooping diesel in October 2023, trends again

    Poor Adoption, Usage Of Nigeria’s FOI Act In South-East Mar Expectations

    • By admin
    • August 21, 2026
    • 5 views
    Poor Adoption, Usage Of Nigeria’s FOI Act In South-East Mar Expectations