Renewed Israeli strikes kill 20 in Gaza, ceasefire talks stall

 

Gaza’s civil defence agency said an Israeli strike on a residential building in the Shujaiya area of Gaza City killed at least 20 people on Wednesday, as the military said they were looking into the attack.

The agency’s spokesman, Mahmud Bassal told AFP the strike resulted in “20 martyrs and more than 40 injured” and the search for bodies in the rubble was ongoing.

Israel resumed intense strikes on the Gaza Strip on March 18, ending a two-month ceasefire with Hamas. Efforts to restore the truce have so far failed.

The health ministry in the Hamas-run territory said on Wednesday that at least 1,482 Palestinians have been killed in the renewed Israeli operations, taking the overall death toll since the start of the war to 50,846.

Hamas’s October 2023 attack that triggered the war resulted in the deaths of 1,218 people on the Israeli side, mostly civilians, according to an AFP tally based on Israeli official figures.

Hossam Badran, a member of Hamas’s political bureau, told AFP on Tuesday that it was “necessary to reach a ceasefire” in Gaza.

He added that “communication with the mediators is still ongoing” but that “so far, there are no new proposals”.

Badran said Hamas “is open to all ideas that would lead to a ceasefire and stop the genocide enacted against our Palestinian people”.

US President Donald Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Monday that new negotiations were in the works aimed at getting more hostages released from captivity in Gaza.

Of the 251 hostages seized during Hamas’s attack on Israel, 58 are still held in Gaza, including 34 the Israeli military says are dead.

 

AFP

Related Posts

Putin: Russia-Ukraine war coming to an end

  Russian President Vladimir Putin says he believes the war with Ukraine is “heading to an end”. According to AFP, Putin spoke on Saturday while answering questions from journalists after…

US, Iran fail to reach peace agreement after 21-hour talks in Pakistan

  The United States and Iran have failed to reach an agreement after 21 hours of high-stakes discussions in Islamabad, Pakistan’s capital. JD Vance, US vice-president, said Tehran refused to…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 10 views
WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

Five die in Abuja building collapse

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 11 views
Five die in Abuja building collapse

17 policemen confirmed killed in Yobe

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 12 views
17 policemen confirmed killed in Yobe

DHQ Releases Details About Slain ISIS Top Leader Al-Minuki

  • By admin
  • May 16, 2026
  • 13 views
DHQ Releases Details About Slain ISIS Top Leader Al-Minuki

Presidency confirms Al-Manuki killing, says 2024 report was mistaken identity

  • By admin
  • May 16, 2026
  • 11 views
Presidency confirms Al-Manuki killing, says 2024 report was mistaken identity

Nigerians among West Africans to be deported from US to Sierra Leone

  • By admin
  • May 16, 2026
  • 21 views
Nigerians among West Africans to be deported from US to Sierra Leone