Several Nigerians feared dead as migrant boat capsizes off Libyan coast — Report

 

 

The International Organisation for Migration (IOM) says some Nigerians are among 53 migrants feared dead after a rubber boat carrying 55 persons capsized off the coast of Libya.

In a statement on Monday, IOM said the vessel overturned north of Zuwara on February 6, noting that only two Nigerian women were rescued during a search-and-rescue operation by Libyan authorities.

The organisation said one of the survivors lost her husband, while the other lost two babies.

“One of the survivors reported losing her husband, while the other said she lost her two babies in the tragedy,” the statement reads.

IOM said its teams provided the survivors with emergency medical care upon disembarkation, in coordination with relevant authorities, while mourning the loss of lives along the Central Mediterranean route.

IOM said the survivor recounted that the boat, carrying migrants and refugees of various African nationalities, departed Al-Zawiya, Libya, at about 11pm on February 5 but capsized about six hours later after taking on water.

Nigerians are among migrants who frequently use the Central Mediterranean route in attempts to reach Europe.

According to data from IOM, at least 375 migrants were reported dead or missing in January alone following multiple “invisible” shipwrecks in the Central Mediterranean amid extreme weather conditions.

The organisation said more than 1,300 migrants have gone missing on the route in 2025, with the latest incident bringing the number of migrants reported dead or missing in 2026 to at least 484.

IOM warned that trafficking and smuggling networks continue to exploit migrants by facilitating dangerous crossings in unseaworthy boats, exposing them to severe abuse and protection risks.

The agency called for stronger international cooperation, protection-centred responses, and the expansion of safe and regular migration pathways to curb smuggling and save lives.

Related Posts

Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

  Iran put to death over 2,150 people last year, a “staggering” increase that pushed recorded worldwide executions to their highest level since 1981, Amnesty International said Monday. Amnesty said…

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

  The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern. In a statement…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

Nigeria, US forces killled over 20 ISWAP fighters in fresh operation -DHQ

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 10 views
Nigeria, US forces killled over 20 ISWAP fighters in fresh operation -DHQ

Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 4 views
Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher

Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 4 views
Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 4 views
Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 4 views
SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 10 views
WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda