Suspected herdsmen kill 15 in Benue communities

 

At least 15 people have reportedly been killed in a renewed attack on several communities by suspected Fulani herdsmen in Katsina-Ala Local Government Area of Benue State.

According to sources from the local government, the crisis began on Friday when gunmen, suspected to be armed herdsmen, invaded Utange council ward. On Saturday, they proceeded to Kpav, particularly Dikpo and Imande Gberihwa, where they unleashed terror on the residents.

As of Sunday morning, several people had been declared missing, while many others were said to have fled the troubled communities.

A local resident, who did not want to be named, told our correspondent over the phone on Sunday, “The killings started on Friday when some armed herders invaded communities in Utange council ward and killed several people.”

He added, “On Saturday night, the same attackers moved to Kpav, particularly Dikpo and Imande Gberihwa, and killed more people.”

Meanwhile, the Chairman of Katsina-Ala LGA, Justine Shaku, who confirmed the attack, stated that 11 people were killed, while seven others sustained serious injuries.

 

According to him, “Several houses were burnt, and foodstuffs destroyed,” adding, “There was no provocation, but the bandits have been carrying out these killings over time.”

Shaku said that as of Sunday evening, he and the member representing Sankera Federal Constituency in the House of Representatives, Solomon Wombo, were meeting with locals to arrange for the purchase of caskets and to settle hospital bills for the victims.

However, in a swift response, the State Governor, Hyacinth Alia, condemned the attack and reassured the people of the state that those responsible would be brought to justice.

In a statement issued on Sunday by his Chief Press Secretary, Kula Tersoo, the governor expressed his profound condolences to the families of the victims and the entire community of Kpav, particularly Dikpo and Imande Gberihwa, following the vicious attack by armed herdsmen.

Alia described the loss of innocent lives and the destruction of homes as a painful reminder of the challenges his administration faces in its pursuit of peace and security in the state.

He stated, “This level of cruelty is extremely unacceptable and will not be tolerated.”

The governor assured that his administration had already deployed security forces to the affected areas and promised to intensify security measures to track down the perpetrators and prevent further attacks.

*”We are working closely with local law enforcement and community leaders to ensure that our villages can exist in peace without fear of terrorism.

“To the people of Benue State, we want to reassure you that your security is our top priority. We recognise the anxiety and fear that such incidents cause, but we are committed to strengthening peace and security in our communities.

“Together, we will overcome this challenge and reinforce our resolve to protect our homes and loved ones.

“We urge everyone to remain vigilant and report any suspicious activities to the authorities. It is only through collective efforts that we can achieve lasting peace,”* the statement read in part.

Also condemning the attack, the President-General of Mdzough U Tiv Worldwide and Chairman of the Three Socio-Cultural Organisations in Benue State, Chief CP Iorbee Ihagh, appealed to President Bola Tinubu to deploy more security forces to the affected areas to prevent a recurrence.

Efforts to reach the Police Public Relations Officer, Catherine Anene, were unsuccessful as she did not answer her phone.

Related Posts

ECOWAS court orders FG to decongest prisons in six months

  The Community Court of Justice, ECOWAS has ordered the Federal Republic of Nigeria to urgently decongest its correctional facilities and end the prolonged detention of awaiting-trial inmates. The Court…

Why I’m delaying attack on Iran – Trump

  US President Donald Trump said he was postponing a planned attack on Iran scheduled for Tuesday at the request of Gulf leaders amid “serious negotiations” with Tehran. Trump’s sudden…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

ECOWAS court orders FG to decongest prisons in six months

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 3 views
ECOWAS court orders FG to decongest prisons in six months

Why I’m delaying attack on Iran – Trump

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 4 views
Why I’m delaying attack on Iran – Trump

Uzodimma Secures Imo West Senatorial APC Ticket

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 5 views
Uzodimma Secures Imo West Senatorial APC Ticket

Nigeria, US forces killled over 20 ISWAP fighters in fresh operation -DHQ

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 13 views
Nigeria, US forces killled over 20 ISWAP fighters in fresh operation -DHQ

Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 5 views
Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher

Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 5 views
Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians