Tension As Violence Erupts In Jos Hours After Govt Relaxed Curfew

 

Tension has erupted in Jos just hours after the Plateau State Government eased the 48-hour curfew imposed following the deadly Sunday night attack in Anguwan Rukuba.

 

Reports indicate that sporadic violence broke out in parts of the city, with unconfirmed claims of fresh casualties.

 

 

The situation has triggered panic among residents, forcing traders who had earlier resumed business activities to abandon their shops and flee to safety.

Eyewitnesses describe scenes of confusion as people fled for cover amid fears of renewed attacks.

Security presence is said to be increasing in affected areas, although authorities have yet to officially confirm the latest developments.

The curfew was initially imposed to restore calm after the earlier killings, but the fresh unrest raises concerns about the fragile security situation in the state.

Authorities are urging residents to remain calm and vigilant as efforts continue to restore order.

 

 

 

Anguwan Rukuba Attack

Unidentified gunmen, reportedly riding on a motorcycle, had shot and killed at least 28 people in the area on Sunday.

A resident, who spoke to Channels Television via a phone call on condition of anonymity, said the attack occurred around the Anguwan Rukuba junction in the evening.

In the aftermath of the attack, angry youths reportedly blocked major roads within the community, raising fears of escalating tension.,

 

 

The latest attack came weeks after no fewer than 20 security operatives and vigilantes were reportedly killed when heavily armed bandits ambushed a joint patrol team in Wanka and the surrounding communities of the Garga area in the Kanam Local Government Area of the state.

The Anguwan Rukuba attack prompted the University of Jos to reschedule exams scheduled for March 30 and 31.

 

 

In a statement on Monday, the Deputy Registrar, Information and Public Relations of the university, Emmanuel Madugu, urged staff and students to remain vigilant and avoid unnecessary movements.

Governor Caleb Mutfwang, in a statewide broadcast on Tuesday, said that the state would not succumb to fear or intimidation.

Related Posts

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

  The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern. In a statement…

Five die in Abuja building collapse

  No fewer than five persons have been confirmed dead after a three-storey building under construction collapsed in the Durumi 3 area near Gudu Market in the Abuja Municipal Area…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 10 views
WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

Five die in Abuja building collapse

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 11 views
Five die in Abuja building collapse

17 policemen confirmed killed in Yobe

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 12 views
17 policemen confirmed killed in Yobe

DHQ Releases Details About Slain ISIS Top Leader Al-Minuki

  • By admin
  • May 16, 2026
  • 13 views
DHQ Releases Details About Slain ISIS Top Leader Al-Minuki

Presidency confirms Al-Manuki killing, says 2024 report was mistaken identity

  • By admin
  • May 16, 2026
  • 11 views
Presidency confirms Al-Manuki killing, says 2024 report was mistaken identity

Nigerians among West Africans to be deported from US to Sierra Leone

  • By admin
  • May 16, 2026
  • 21 views
Nigerians among West Africans to be deported from US to Sierra Leone