Togo grants 30-day visa-free access to all African citizens

 

Africans with a valid passport can now travel to Togo without visas after the West African nation announced a new open-border policy for the continent.

The visa-free access would span 30 days, the ministry of security said early Tuesday.

In a statement, Calixte Madjoulba, security minister, said the decision took effect on Monday and reflects the ongoing commitment of the highest Togolese authorities to promote African integration, strengthen the free movement of people and goods, and foster increased cooperation among the states and peoples of the continent.

“It is part of the dynamic of openness, modernization, and attractiveness initiated by the President of the Council, with the ambition of making Togo a regional hub for services, business, culture, and human exchange in the heart of Africa,” Madjoulba said.

Madjoulba noted that the visa exemption still requires Africans to comply with the security, immigration, and public health requirements applicable to enter Togo.

As such, intending travellers concerned must submit their travel declaration at least 24 hours before their arrival in order to obtain a travel document to present at border crossings.

“This document constitutes a prior administrative and security formality,” the minister said.

Madjoulba noted that the visa exemption measure does not allow for irregular entry, illegal residence, and compromises of administrative policing and national security measures.

The minister said the increased mobility would apply to all points of entry including land, air, and sea.

The decision makes Togo the latest African country to allow visa-free travel for citizens of African Union (AU) member states, for up to 30 days, after Rwanda and Kenya.

The AU’s Agenda 2063 and the African passport initiative advocate continental-free movement, but implementation remains partial.

Last week, Nigeria reciprocated Rwanda’s 30-day visa free entry.

Related Posts

Catholic priest allegedly attacked after Mass in Enugu

  A Catholic priest, Rev. Fr. Valentine Chimaobi Nwajiagu, was allegedly attacked on Sunday by a member of the Knights of St. John International, Sir Iyke Nwatakwocha, at St. Anthony…

Woman arrested for stealing newborn in Kebbi

  The Kebbi State Police Command has arrested a 19-year-old woman, Khadija Ibrahim, for allegedly stealing a newborn baby in Zuru Local Government Area of the state and presenting the…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

Catholic priest allegedly attacked after Mass in Enugu

  • By admin
  • August 17, 2026
  • 2 views
Catholic priest allegedly attacked after Mass in Enugu

Woman arrested for stealing newborn in Kebbi

  • By admin
  • August 17, 2026
  • 5 views
Woman arrested for stealing newborn in Kebbi

Frozen Account: I’ve Instructed My Attorney General To Drop Suit Against EFCC — Adeleke

  • By admin
  • August 17, 2026
  • 5 views
Frozen Account: I’ve Instructed My Attorney General To Drop Suit Against EFCC — Adeleke

Gunmen kill residents in attack on Benue communities

  • By admin
  • August 17, 2026
  • 9 views
Gunmen kill residents in attack on Benue communities

INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun gov poll

  • By admin
  • August 16, 2026
  • 6 views
INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun gov poll

At least 38 dead as 7.7-magnitude earthquake hits Indonesia

  • By admin
  • August 15, 2026
  • 7 views
At least 38 dead as 7.7-magnitude earthquake hits Indonesia