Two Nigerians killed in South Africa

 

The Nigerian Consulate in Johannesburg says two Nigerians identified as Amaramiro Emmanuel and Ekpenyong Andrew, have been killed in South Africa amid rising xenophobic tensions.

According to NAN, Ninikanwa Okey-Uche, the consul-general, said in a statement on Monday that Emmanuel died from injuries allegedly sustained after being beaten by personnel of the South African National Defence Force (SANDF) on April 20.

She said Andrew, on the other hand, was apprehended on April 19 in the Booysens area of Pretoria following an alleged altercation with members of the Tshwane Metro Police, and that his body was later discovered at the Pretoria Central Mortuary.

The consular-general said the separate cases, involving security personnel, have left the victims’ families, the Nigerian community, and diplomatic missions in shock.

The consul-general said a formal case has been opened with the South African Police Service and urged the independent police investigative directorate (IPID) to ensure a thorough, transparent, and impartial investigation.

“We call on South African authorities to thoroughly investigate the matter and bring the perpetrators to justice,” she said.

“No matter the allegations, there are lawful processes. Everyone should be presumed innocent and granted fair hearing in a court of law. No one should take the law into their hands.”

The consular added that the consulate is engaging relevant authorities and will provide necessary support to the families of the deceased.

Okey-Uche warned against the growing trend of profiling and generalising Nigerians as criminals, describing it as dangerous.

The consul-general also urged Nigerians in South Africa to remain calm and law-abiding while investigations continue.

Related Posts

Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

  Iran put to death over 2,150 people last year, a “staggering” increase that pushed recorded worldwide executions to their highest level since 1981, Amnesty International said Monday. Amnesty said…

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

  The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern. In a statement…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

Nigeria, US forces killled over 20 ISWAP fighters in fresh operation -DHQ

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 12 views
Nigeria, US forces killled over 20 ISWAP fighters in fresh operation -DHQ

Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 5 views
Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher

Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 4 views
Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 4 views
Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 4 views
SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 10 views
WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda