Two soldiers killed as troops battle insurgents in Borno

 

Troops of Operation Hadin Kai repelled a coordinated attack by Boko Haram/Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) terrorists on the New Marte area in Borno state.

The attack began at 1:35am on Tuesday, with personnel of the army and air force engaging the insurgents in a duel.

According to the Nigerian Army, the attack resulted in the death of “several assailants”, with two soldiers also killed.

“In a joint land and air operations, troops of Operation Hadin Kai defeated a BH/ISWAP night attack on New Marte, Borno State in a gruelling battle that commenced at 1:35 am this morning,” the army said in an X post.

“Sadly, two soldiers paid the supreme price while a number of the terrorists were neutralised. Troops are currently in pursuit of the fleeing terrorists.”

Zagazola Makama, a counter-insurgency publication focused on the Lake Chad region, reported that an unconfirmed number of insurgents targeted the location of the 50 Task Force Battalion in New Marte.

The troops, “bolstered by reinforcements from the 24 Task Force Brigade garrison and the 134 Special Forces Battalion, engaged the terrorists in a gruelling battle”.

The NAF reportedly provided crucial aerial reconnaissance and offensive support, significantly contributing to the “neutralisation of a large number” of fleeing insurgents.

“Two soldiers were killed in action, and equipment casualties included damage to one gun truck and a tyre of a Mine-Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) vehicle,” the publication said.

“An ongoing exploitation operation is being conducted to track down surviving terrorists and recover their weapons and logistics.”

Related Posts

17 policemen confirmed killed in Yobe

  The Nigeria Police Force has confirmed the death of 17 police officers following a terrorist attack on the Nigerian Army Special Forces School in Buni Yadi, Gujba Local Government…

Presidency confirms Al-Manuki killing, says 2024 report was mistaken identity

  The Presidency has dismissed claims that Abu-Bilal Al-Manuki, the senior Islamic State West Africa Province commander eliminated in a joint Nigeria-United States military operation, had been killed in a…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 3 views
Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 3 views
Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 3 views
SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 10 views
WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

Five die in Abuja building collapse

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 12 views
Five die in Abuja building collapse

17 policemen confirmed killed in Yobe

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 14 views
17 policemen confirmed killed in Yobe