US lawmaker condemns Niger Catholic school attack, kidnapping

 

US Congressman Riley Moore has condemned the abduction of students and teachers from St. Mary’s Catholic School in Papiri, Agwara Local Government Area of Niger State.

The lawmaker described the incident as heartbreaking and declared that “enough is enough” in the face of alleged escalating violence against Christians in the country.

The attack, which occurred early Friday, marks the second mass school kidnapping in Nigeria this week.

Gunmen reportedly stormed the Catholic primary and secondary school, abducting an undisclosed number of pupils and staff.

 

Reacting to the incident in a post on his X handle on Friday, Rep. Moore, a member of the House Appropriations Committee, urged stronger efforts to protect Christians in Nigeria.

He wrote, “Heartbreaking. St Mary’s Catholic School in Nigeria was attacked overnight, with more than 50 students and teachers being kidnapped.

“Enough is enough. We must do everything we can to defend our brothers and sisters in Christ.”

Moore’s comment followed recent attacks and kidnappings in the Northern region, which have drawn international concern and renewed calls for urgent action to protect schools and communities across the region.

Friday’s Niger abduction follows another on Monday when gunmen invaded Government Girls Comprehensive Secondary School in Maga town, Kebbi State, and kidnapped at least 24 students.

Kebbi State government said the attackers arrived around 4:00 a.m., firing sporadically before herding the girls into the bush.

The incidents come as US President Donald Trump redesignated Nigeria as a “Country of Particular Concern” earlier this month for severe violations of religious freedom.

The president has threatened to withhold U.S. aid or even pursue military action if the crisis is not addressed.

The Federal Government has rejected the CPC label, arguing it is based on “faulty data” and emphasising the need for cooperation rather than threats to combat the violence.

Related Posts

Gunmen kill residents in attack on Benue communities

  Gunmen invaded communities in Ukum LGA of Benue early Sunday morning, killing several residents and injuring others. The attack was said to have happened in Mbaterem, Ayaba, Ikpur, Yina,…

Kidnappers free Anambra businessman, reverend sister

  A businessman and Chairman of Jezco Group, Chief Joseph Ezeokafor, who was kidnapped alongside a reverend sister by yet-to-be-identified gunmen at Ifite-Awka, Awka South LGA of Anambra State, have…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

Idiaye Emerges Edo Assembly Speaker As Agbebaku Resigns

  • By admin
  • August 17, 2026
  • 10 views
Idiaye Emerges Edo Assembly Speaker As Agbebaku Resigns

Catholic priest allegedly attacked after Mass in Enugu

  • By admin
  • August 17, 2026
  • 3 views
Catholic priest allegedly attacked after Mass in Enugu

Woman arrested for stealing newborn in Kebbi

  • By admin
  • August 17, 2026
  • 6 views
Woman arrested for stealing newborn in Kebbi

Frozen Account: I’ve Instructed My Attorney General To Drop Suit Against EFCC — Adeleke

  • By admin
  • August 17, 2026
  • 6 views
Frozen Account: I’ve Instructed My Attorney General To Drop Suit Against EFCC — Adeleke

Gunmen kill residents in attack on Benue communities

  • By admin
  • August 17, 2026
  • 10 views
Gunmen kill residents in attack on Benue communities

INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun gov poll

  • By admin
  • August 16, 2026
  • 7 views
INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun gov poll