Wanted soldier arrested in Borno fleeing to Cameroon

 

The Nigerian Army has confirmed the arrest of a soldier, Private Mohammed Yusuf, recently declared wanted for his alleged involvement in the illegal supply of military accoutrements to terrorist and other criminal elements.

The Army, in a statement on Sunday, said he was arrested by troops of 7 Provost Group, Operation Hadin Kai, at Jidari Bus Stop, Maiduguri, while allegedly attempting to flee to the Republic of Cameroon.

The acting Military Information Officer, Northeast Joint Taskforce Operation Hadin Kai, Capt Muhammed Goni, said preliminary investigation revealed that the suspect absconded from his unit on July 7, 2026, and subsequently relocated to Maiduguri, where he reportedly went into hiding.

The statement read: “Troops of Operation Hadin Kai have arrested a soldier recently declared wanted by the Nigerian Army for his alleged involvement in the illegal supply of military accoutrements to terrorist and other criminal elements, in a sustained effort to dismantle criminal support network.”

According to Goni, the suspect, 23NA/84/1939 Private Mohammed Yusuf of the Nigerian Army Ordnance Kits Factory, Lagos, was arrested at about 6:30 pm on 25 July 2026 by troops of 7 Provost Group, following credible human intelligence.

“He had been declared wanted by the Nigerian Army on 23 July 2026 over the same allegations. The suspect was apprehended at Jidari Bus Stop, Maiduguri, while allegedly attempting to flee to the Republic of Cameroon,” he stated.

“Preliminary investigation revealed that the suspect absconded from his unit on 7 July 2026 and subsequently relocated to Maiduguri, where he reportedly went into hiding in the Gomari Costain area of Jere Local Government Area with the assistance of an associate,” he added.

The Army spokesman said his arrest underscored the effectiveness of intelligence-driven operations and the Nigerian Army’s unwavering commitment to holding personnel accountable for actions that undermined military ethics, discipline and national security.

“The suspect is currently in the custody of 7 Provost Group, where further investigation is ongoing to establish the full extent of his activities and identify other individuals who may have been involved,” he noted.

Goni emphasised that there was no safe haven for individuals who supported terrorism or any form of criminality, irrespective of their status.

“The military remains resolute in upholding professionalism, accountability and the highest standards of integrity in the conduct of ongoing counter-insurgency operations,” he stressed.

He called on members of the public to continue providing timely and credible information to security agencies, saying their cooperation remains critical to the restoration of lasting peace and security across the theatre.

Related Posts

Lakurawa terrorists kill four soldiers in Sokoto

  No fewer than four soldiers were reportedly feared killed when suspected Lakurawa terrorists invaded Kebbe town in Kebbe Local Government Area of Sokoto State on Friday. Saturday PUNCH gathered…

Explosion kills ISWAP bombmakers, medical officer, Arab IED experts in Borno

  Five suspected Islamic State West Africa Province, ISWAP, terrorists, including an alleged medical officer and four Improvised Explosive Devices, IEDs, specialists, have reportedly been killed in a premature explosion…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

Idiaye Emerges Edo Assembly Speaker As Agbebaku Resigns

  • By admin
  • August 17, 2026
  • 11 views
Idiaye Emerges Edo Assembly Speaker As Agbebaku Resigns

Catholic priest allegedly attacked after Mass in Enugu

  • By admin
  • August 17, 2026
  • 4 views
Catholic priest allegedly attacked after Mass in Enugu

Woman arrested for stealing newborn in Kebbi

  • By admin
  • August 17, 2026
  • 7 views
Woman arrested for stealing newborn in Kebbi

Frozen Account: I’ve Instructed My Attorney General To Drop Suit Against EFCC — Adeleke

  • By admin
  • August 17, 2026
  • 7 views
Frozen Account: I’ve Instructed My Attorney General To Drop Suit Against EFCC — Adeleke

Gunmen kill residents in attack on Benue communities

  • By admin
  • August 17, 2026
  • 11 views
Gunmen kill residents in attack on Benue communities

INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun gov poll

  • By admin
  • August 16, 2026
  • 8 views
INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun gov poll