Guinea Electricity Chief Sacked After Power Cut Protests

 

Guinea announced on Saturday that the head of its national electricity company had been sacked after repeated power cuts sparked deadly protests in the military-ruled country.

Laye Sekou Camara of Electricity in Guinea (EDG) was dismissed along with his two deputies, Fode Soumah and Abdoulaye Kone, in a decree signed by junta chief General Mamady Doumbouya.

The managing director and deputy of Guinea’s national oil company were also dismissed in a separate decree.

“Those responsible for this situation (linked to the power cuts) owe us an explanation and everyone must take their share of responsibility,” Prime Minister Amadou Oury Bah told the press on Friday.

The decision comes after two children, aged eight and 14, were shot dead amid violent protests on Tuesday in Kindia, 130 kilometres (80 miles) east of Conakry.

Clashes also erupted between protesters and security forces in Conakry on Thursday after a power cut plunged much of the capital into darkness.

In a statement, EDG said the blackout was the result of “an incident on a high-voltage pylon”.

Guinea, which is poor despite considerable mineral and natural resources, has endured decades of dictatorial rule and suffers from fuel shortages and power cuts.

AFP

  • Related Posts

    Togo grants 30-day visa-free access to all African citizens

      Africans with a valid passport can now travel to Togo without visas after the West African nation announced a new open-border policy for the continent. The visa-free access would…

    Nigerian athlete shot dead days before MBA graduation in US

        The Nigerian sporting community is mourning the death of Oluwabukola Pereira, who was shot dead in the United States, US just days before she was due to graduate…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    EFCC arrests convicted ex-power minister Mamman

    • By admin
    • May 19, 2026
    • 8 views
    EFCC arrests convicted ex-power minister Mamman

    Togo grants 30-day visa-free access to all African citizens

    • By admin
    • May 19, 2026
    • 9 views
    Togo grants 30-day visa-free access to all African citizens

    NYSC Corps member stabs father three times to death in Abuja

    • By admin
    • May 19, 2026
    • 10 views
    NYSC Corps member stabs father three times to death in Abuja

    Nigerian athlete shot dead days before MBA graduation in US

    • By admin
    • May 19, 2026
    • 16 views
    Nigerian athlete shot dead days before MBA graduation in US

    Estimated DR Congo Ebola Death Toll Jumps To 131

    • By admin
    • May 19, 2026
    • 13 views
    Estimated DR Congo Ebola Death Toll Jumps To 131

    US moves to revoke citizenship of Nigerian convicted in $11.6m fraud case

    • By admin
    • May 19, 2026
    • 14 views
    US moves to revoke citizenship of Nigerian convicted in $11.6m fraud case