9 Killed In Attacks On Benue Villages

 

At least nine people have been reportedly killed by armed invaders in separate attacks on villages in two local government areas of Benue State.

Villagers said that the incidents happened on Friday and Thursday in two neigbouring LGAs of Apa and Agatu.

The villagers said that five persons were killed in Agatu while four were felled by the armed invaders in Apa.

A local, who preferred anonymity, said, “On March 1, 2024, the attackers killed one person in Edikwu Icho village after the attack on Ikobi. Also, same day, they killed two persons in Akpanta village of Apa LGA and killed one person in Ugbobi also in Apa LGA, making a total of four people killed.”

Barrister Eche Akpoko, who is the Chairman of the Apa Development Association, said that the number of casualties could be more as there were missing persons.

Akpoko told our correspondent in Makurdi on Saturday that the attacks happened simultaneously about 11am on Friday, stressing that the exact figure of people killed could not yet be ascertained until search parties completed their findings.

Similarly, a traditional ruler in Agatu, Och’Adogoji, Chief James Edoh, confirmed that five persons were killed in his domain in an attack launched against Alokpa village at about 5pm on Thursday.

He said that the incident was promptly reported to all the security agencies operating in the area including the police.

A member representing Agatu constituency in the state House of Assembly, Godwin Edoh, also confirmed the killing of the five people, saying that the attack happened twice in Alokpa on Wednesday and Thursday.

Edoh said, “There were attacks between 28th and 29th February on Alokpa where five people were killed.

“There was an attack scare at Obagaji where women and children were running around after hearing gunshots from Alokpa, a neighbouring village but Obagaji was not attacked.”

The Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), SP Catherine Anene, did not respond to our correspondent’s calls to her line in an attempt to get her comments on the incident.

  • Related Posts

    Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

      Iran put to death over 2,150 people last year, a “staggering” increase that pushed recorded worldwide executions to their highest level since 1981, Amnesty International said Monday. Amnesty said…

    WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

      The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern. In a statement…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Nigeria, US forces killled over 20 ISWAP fighters in fresh operation -DHQ

    • By admin
    • May 18, 2026
    • 10 views
    Nigeria, US forces killled over 20 ISWAP fighters in fresh operation -DHQ

    Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher

    • By admin
    • May 18, 2026
    • 4 views
    Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher

    Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

    • By admin
    • May 18, 2026
    • 3 views
    Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

    Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

    • By admin
    • May 18, 2026
    • 3 views
    Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

    SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

    • By admin
    • May 18, 2026
    • 3 views
    SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

    WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

    • By admin
    • May 17, 2026
    • 10 views
    WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda