Military helicopter strikes on Niger State community, kill two, many injured

 

At least two civilians have reportedly been killed after a security force helicopter opened fire on civilians in Kurgi, Maria LGA of Niger state.

The incident, which occurred on January 25, was also said to have left several people, including children, injured.

According to a report by Aldebaran Threat Consultants, the aircraft hovered the area before the operation.

The air strike was said to be part of a wave of military operations launched in Kwara and Niger around January 20 in response to a surge in crime and terrorism in northern areas of the state over the past months.

Reacting to the incident in a statement, the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) said it had taken note of allegations of civilian casualties following its air operations in Kurigi village.

The statement signed by Ehimen Ejodame, NAF spokesperson, said the force “acknowledges the gravity of the reported loss of lives and injuries” and expressed “deep concern for all affected”.

“Over the past year, the NAF has consistently applied its Civilian Harm Mitigation and Response-Action Plan (CHMR-AP), embedding civilian protection considerations into all phases of operations while strengthening training, procedures, and safeguards aimed at minimising harm,” the statement reads.

NAF said a civilian harm accident and investigation (CHAI) team has been activated to carry out an “immediate and comprehensive investigation into the reported incident”.

“Guided by the principles of accountability, responsibility, and transparency, the NAF assures Nigerians of its unwavering resolve to take responsibility where required, implement necessary improvements, and safeguard innocent lives, while continuing to defend the nation with professionalism, restraint, and respect for the trust placed in it by the Nigerian people,” the statement reads.

Related Posts

Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

  Iran put to death over 2,150 people last year, a “staggering” increase that pushed recorded worldwide executions to their highest level since 1981, Amnesty International said Monday. Amnesty said…

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

  The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern. In a statement…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

Nigeria, US forces killled over 20 ISWAP fighters in fresh operation -DHQ

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 13 views
Nigeria, US forces killled over 20 ISWAP fighters in fresh operation -DHQ

Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 5 views
Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher

Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 5 views
Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 5 views
Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 5 views
SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 11 views
WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda