Sit-at-home: Police disperse protesters on Onitsha head bridge

 

The Anambra State Police on Wednesday dispersed protesters at the Onitsha Head Bridge, who had blocked the road in response to the ongoing closure of the Onitsha Main Market.

The one-week closure, ordered by Governor Chukwuma Soludo on Monday, entered its second day, prompting some traders and residents to barricade the roads leading to the bridge.

Protesters chanted, “No way in, no way out. Onitsha to Asaba blocked. Stand till!” as many passers-by stood firm while others fled amid the demonstration.

The protest continued until operatives of the Joint Security Team arrived to contain and deter any disruptive activity.

In a press statement, the Anambra State Police Command spokesman, SP Tochukwu Ikenga, said, “The Joint Security Team have successfully contained and deterred all forms of disruptive activities, ensuring the safety of lives and property.”

Ikenga added that the command, in collaboration with other security agencies, “remains proactive and resolute in preventing any attempt by miscreants or criminal elements to exploit the temporary closure of markets to cause a breach of peace in Onitsha.”

He urged residents and traders to remain law-abiding and comply with the state government’s directive, stressing that the measure “is in the overall interest of public safety and security.”

The statement further noted, “The command also observed the pattern of individuals using social media platforms to incite violence, disrupt public peace, as well as the sharing of unverified videos regarding the security situation in the area.

“Onitsha remains calm, and every situation is under control as per the directives of the Commissioner of Police, CP Ikioye Orutugu.”

According to Ikenga, the Deputy Commissioner in Charge of Operations currently leads the Joint Security Team, which includes the military, the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, and other security agencies. He added that security monitoring and patrols continue across the area.

Related Posts

Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

  Iran put to death over 2,150 people last year, a “staggering” increase that pushed recorded worldwide executions to their highest level since 1981, Amnesty International said Monday. Amnesty said…

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

  The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern. In a statement…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

Nigeria, US forces killled over 20 ISWAP fighters in fresh operation -DHQ

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 13 views
Nigeria, US forces killled over 20 ISWAP fighters in fresh operation -DHQ

Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 5 views
Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher

Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 5 views
Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 5 views
Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 5 views
SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 11 views
WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda