Abducted Kebbi high court judge regains freedom after one week in captivity

 

The abducted Kebbi State High Court Judge, Justice Faruku Bunza, has regained his freedom after spending one week in the custody of his abductors.

The Kebbi State Police Command confirmed on Monday that Bunza, who was abducted from his residence in Bunza Local Government Area on July 26, 2026, was released earlier in the day.

The command said his release had been confirmed by both his family and the Kebbi State Ministry of Justice.

The state Police Public Relations Officer, SP Bashir Usman, in a press statement on Monday, said although the kidnappers had demanded a ransom, the command maintained its position against ransom payments.

“With the judge now released, the police and other security agencies have intensified investigative efforts to track down the perpetrators and bring them to justice.

“We urge members of the public to provide useful information that could assist in this regard. All information provided will be treated with the utmost confidentiality,” the statement partly read.

The command commended members of the public and other security agencies for their cooperation during the period of the judge’s captivity, assuring residents of its continued commitment to protecting lives and property across Kebbi State.

A family member confirmed the development to our correspondent on Monday, saying the judge returned home safely a few hours before this report was filed.

“We are in jubilation and full of gratitude to Almighty God for bringing our own back home safely. He was released today and has returned home after spending one week in captivity,” the family member said.

 

The source said the family was overwhelmed with relief and thanked everyone who supported them throughout the ordeal.

“We sincerely appreciate the Kebbi State Judiciary, the security agencies, the state government, friends, and the good people of Kebbi State who stood by us with prayers, messages of encouragement and different forms of support.

“Your concern and solidarity gave us strength during this difficult period, and we remain deeply grateful,” he said.

The family, however, declined to disclose the circumstances surrounding the judge’s release.

“Details of how he regained his freedom will be made public later. For now, we are only thankful that he is back home safely,” the source added.

Recall that Justice Bunza was abducted last week by suspected bandits in Bunza Local Government Area of Kebbi State, an incident that sparked widespread condemnation and heightened concerns over the worsening security situation in the state.

His abduction prompted calls from members of the judiciary, legal practitioners and residents for intensified efforts to secure his safe release.

The incident also underscored growing concerns over attacks targeting prominent individuals in parts of Northwest Nigeria, where armed banditry and kidnappings for ransom have remained a major security challenge despite ongoing military operations.

Bunza’s release is expected to bring relief to the judiciary, his family and residents of Kebbi State, who had anxiously awaited news of his safe return.

Related Posts

Gunmen attack Niger mosque, abduct worshippers

    Gunmen have abducted an unspecified number of Muslim worshippers in communities within Borgu LGA of Niger state. Zagazola Makama, a counter-insurgency publication focused on the Lake Chad region,…

UK warns citizens against travel to 11 Nigerian states

  The United Kingdom has advised its citizens against all travel to parts of 11 Nigerian states, while warning against all but essential travel to parts of 19 states and…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

FACT-CHECK: No, image does not show Elumelu meeting, reconciling with lady who called him ‘Tony’ in viral video

  • By admin
  • August 23, 2026
  • 2 views
FACT-CHECK: No, image does not show Elumelu meeting, reconciling with lady who called him ‘Tony’ in viral video

101-year-old great-grandma arrested for selling drugs in sachets

  • By admin
  • August 23, 2026
  • 3 views
101-year-old great-grandma arrested for selling drugs in sachets

Coordinator of ‘fake’ Made in Nigeria agency shares appointment letter ‘issued by SGF office’

  • By admin
  • August 23, 2026
  • 3 views
Coordinator of ‘fake’ Made in Nigeria agency shares appointment letter ‘issued by SGF office’

Mother, three children killed as fire razes Fulani settlement in Yobe

  • By admin
  • August 23, 2026
  • 4 views
Mother, three children killed as fire razes Fulani settlement in Yobe

Publish political donation limits for 2027 elections, SERAP tells INEC

  • By admin
  • August 23, 2026
  • 9 views
Publish political donation limits for 2027 elections, SERAP tells INEC

US judge strikes down Trump visa ban affecting Nigeria, 74 other countries

  • By admin
  • August 22, 2026
  • 4 views
US judge strikes down Trump visa ban affecting Nigeria, 74 other countries