Bobi Wine speaks after Uganda military raid on home

 

Bobi Wine, Uganda’s leading opposition figure, says he escaped arrest after soldiers and police raided his home in Magere.

The residence of Wine, who is seeking the presidency for a second term against long-serving President Yoweri Museveni, was assailed by Ugandan security operatives.

In a statement posted on X, the opposition leader said the operatives cut off electricity, disabled some CCTV cameras and deployed helicopters over the area.

“Last night was very difficult at our home in Magere,” he said.

“The military and police raided us; they switched off power and cut off some of our CCTV cameras, and helicopters were hovering over.”

He said he managed to evade arrest and is currently not at home.

“I want to confirm that I managed to escape from them,” Wine said.

“Currently, I am not at home, although my wife and other family members remain under house arrest.”

Wine stated that security agents are searching for him across the country, prompting him to take measures to ensure his safety.

“I know that these criminals are looking for me everywhere, and I am trying my best to keep safe,” he said.

He said reports that he had been abducted were fuelled by the raid on his home and a nationwide internet shutdown.

“Given the commotion that happened at our house at night, and given that no one is allowed to access the house, our neighbours concluded that they had succeeded in abducting us and spread the news,” he said.

The opposition leader also rejected the presidential election results being announced by the electoral commission chairman.

“I reiterate our COMPLETE REJECTION of the fake results Byabakama is reading,” Wine added.

Wine alleged ballot box stuffing, military interference in the election process, and the detention of opposition leaders and polling officials.

“In addition to the ballot stuffing, the military takeover of the election, the detention of our leaders and polling officials, and other electoral offences, their results have zero backing,” he said.

He also condemned the murder of citizens protesting the conduct of the election.

“We condemn the murder of numerous citizens who have thus far attempted to peacefully demonstrate against the broad daylight thuggery,” he said.

“The people of Uganda have the right to protest in defence of their sovereign right to determine a government of their choice.”

He also accused authorities of targeting candidates of the National Unity Platform, even in areas where they had evidence of victory.

“NUP candidates are being targeted, even when they have 100 percent evidence that they won,” he said.

Describing the situation as unacceptable, Wine said the struggle would continue.

“This is absolute madness. The people of Uganda will ultimately win,” he added.

The incumbent Museveni, who has been in power since 1986, is set for a seventh consecutive term on the saddle.

Related Posts

Mali Hit By New Wave Of Coordinated Attacks

  Jihadists and their separatist Tuareg allies hit Mali with fresh coordinated attacks Saturday, striking multiple towns and a prison, according to the army, residents, and security sources. The fighting,…

Russian government taunts US after discovery of lithium, other minerals in northern Nigeria

  The Russian Embassy in Kenya has taunted the United States over the recent discovery of lithium and other earth minerals in Kaduna State, Northern Nigeria. On June 24, the…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun gov poll

  • By admin
  • August 16, 2026
  • 3 views
INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun gov poll

At least 38 dead as 7.7-magnitude earthquake hits Indonesia

  • By admin
  • August 15, 2026
  • 6 views
At least 38 dead as 7.7-magnitude earthquake hits Indonesia

Police arrest Accord lawmaker for ‘importing 300 persons’ to vote in Osun guber poll

  • By admin
  • August 15, 2026
  • 6 views
Police arrest Accord lawmaker for ‘importing 300 persons’ to vote in Osun guber poll

Ghana Police kill two, arrest Nigerian over alleged bank robbery attempt

  • By admin
  • August 15, 2026
  • 7 views
Ghana Police kill two, arrest Nigerian over alleged bank robbery attempt

Strait of Hormuz will become US territory after Iran war, says Trump

  • By admin
  • August 15, 2026
  • 11 views
Strait of Hormuz will become US territory after Iran war, says Trump

Kidnappers free Anambra businessman, reverend sister

  • By admin
  • August 15, 2026
  • 15 views
Kidnappers free Anambra businessman, reverend sister