Canada declines comment on military chiefs visas denial

 

The Canadian High Commission in Nigeria has acknowledged media reports concerning the visa denials of senior Nigerian military officials, including the Chief of Defence Staff, General Christopher Musa.

This was contained in a statement issued by the Commission in Nigeria on Friday.

Recall that the officials had been invited to an event in Canada honouring war veterans.

While some members of the delegation received visas, others were denied entry, causing disappointment and frustration.

Musa shared his experience at the maiden annual lecture of the National Association of the Institute for Security Studies in Abuja on Thursday, expressing his dismay over the visa refusal.

He described the situation as a “wake-up call” for Nigeria, urging the nation to strengthen its sovereignty and stand firm on its own.

“This is a reminder that we must stand on our own, stand strong as a nation, and refuse to be taken for granted,” he said.

National Security Adviser Nuhu Ribadu also weighed in on the issue, offering his support for the Chief of Defence Staff’s public statement.

Ribadu condemned Canada’s actions, calling the visa denial “disrespectful” and remarking that “Canada can go to hell.”

He emphasised the need for Nigeria to focus on internal strength, stating that this incident further underscored the importance of improving the country’s own stability.

In response, the Canadian High Commission acknowledged the media reports but refrained from commenting on the specifics of the visa applications, citing privacy concerns.

The Commission confirmed its awareness of the situation but reiterated that it could not disclose details about the status of individual visa applications.

“The High Commission of Canada in Nigeria is aware of media reports related to planned travel by senior officials. However, for privacy reasons, we are unable to comment on the status of visa applications of specific individuals,” the statement read.

Related Posts

ICPC uncovers fake agency in OSGF

  President Bola Tinubu has ordered the immediate arrest of George Nwabueze over the alleged operation of a fake government agency within the premises of the office of the secretary…

FBI says disclosing Tinubu’s records could endanger lives, reveal our techniques

  The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) has filed a motion seeking to submit ex parte in camera declarations on why it withheld information about its investigative records relating to…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

ICPC uncovers fake agency in OSGF

  • By admin
  • August 21, 2026
  • 3 views
ICPC uncovers fake agency in OSGF

FACT-CHECK: Video of Lagos residents scooping diesel in October 2023, trends again

  • By admin
  • August 21, 2026
  • 11 views
FACT-CHECK: Video of Lagos residents scooping diesel in October 2023, trends again

Poor Adoption, Usage Of Nigeria’s FOI Act In South-East Mar Expectations

  • By admin
  • August 21, 2026
  • 4 views
Poor Adoption, Usage Of Nigeria’s FOI Act In South-East Mar Expectations

FBI says disclosing Tinubu’s records could endanger lives, reveal our techniques

  • By admin
  • August 21, 2026
  • 8 views
FBI says disclosing Tinubu’s records could endanger lives, reveal our techniques

RULAAC commends FCT Police Commissioner for strengthening due process in policing

  • By admin
  • August 21, 2026
  • 12 views
RULAAC commends FCT Police Commissioner for strengthening due process in policing

47 dead as boat capsizes in Sokoto

  • By admin
  • August 20, 2026
  • 4 views
47 dead as boat capsizes in Sokoto