DSS charges man for advocating military coup

 

The Department of State Services has filed a six-count charge against 27-year-old Innocent Chukwuemeka Onukwume for allegedly calling for a military coup in the country.

The charges, brought before the Federal High Court in Abuja under case number FHC/ABJ/CR/610/2025, relate to posts Onukwume made on his verified X account (@theagroman) in October 2025.

According to the DSS, the posts encouraged the removal of the ruling All Progressives Congress, the suspension of the federal government and support for the military in taking over the country.

In the charge filed on Tuesday by DSS counsel A.M. Danalami, Onukwume’s actions were said to contravene Sections 46A(1) and 59(1) of the Criminal Code Act, as well as Section 24(1)(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Act, 2024 (as amended).

AnambraDecides2025: Soludo arrives at PU0020:00 / 0:00
Some of the statements attributed to him include: “A coup in Nigeria is needed. Dispose of APC, suspend the Nigerian government and join the AES. That is all we need now.”

He allegedly also wrote, “It will happen eventually, Nigerian. The military needs your support now! Only they can save this country. The bastard in Aso Rock has basically sold this country to the West and they run our intelligence apparatus only the military can reset this country.”

In another post, he reportedly stated, “Tinubu has to go and APC has to die for Nigeria to have any semblance of normal life. And if you think your stupid votes can remove Tinubu, I’m here to tell you that you’re a fool.”

The DSS further cited the same post repeated on his account, adding, “A coup in Nigeria is needed. Dispose of APC, suspend the Nigerian Government and join the AES. That is all we need now.”

Onukwume, a resident of Umusayo Layout, Oyigbo Local Government Area of Rivers State, is expected to be arraigned later this week.

In October, there were reports of an alleged plot by some military personnel to overthrow President Bola Tinubu’s administration.

This, however, has triggered outrage among Nigerians, with senior lawyers, civil society groups and retired generals warning against any attempt to subvert democracy.

Meanwhile, the Defence Headquarters dismissed the reports, saying there was no coup-related detention or plan within the military.

Related Posts

Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

  Iran put to death over 2,150 people last year, a “staggering” increase that pushed recorded worldwide executions to their highest level since 1981, Amnesty International said Monday. Amnesty said…

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

  The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern. In a statement…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 3 views
Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 3 views
Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 3 views
SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 10 views
WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

Five die in Abuja building collapse

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 12 views
Five die in Abuja building collapse

17 policemen confirmed killed in Yobe

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 14 views
17 policemen confirmed killed in Yobe