Immigration stops 294 Nigerians from leaving country

 

The Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) said it has stopped 294 Nigerians from leaving the country out of concern that they may have been engaging in smuggling activities, and denied entry to 332 undocumented migrants at the Seme border.

Comptroller General of Immigration Service (CGIS), Kemi Nandap, who disclosed this on Tuesday during a one-day stakeholders’ sensitization seminar in Abuja titled “Evolving Patterns in Smuggling of Migrants: Towards a Coordinated National Response,” also said the NIS rescued 36 victims of human trafficking and child labour along the Seme border in recent weeks. Nandap revealed that recent operations at the Seme Border, aided by newly installed CCTV cameras, led to the interception of irregular migrants and the rescue of dozens of victims.

“These are not annual statistics; they occurred within a short period, highlighting the scale of the problem we are dealing with,” she said.

Nandap expressed concern over the growing trend of Nigerians attempting to migrate irregularly, often driven by the perception of greener pastures abroad—a phenomenon popularly known as “Japa.”

“It is very disheartening when you see young people risking their lives because they feel the grass is greener on the other side,” Nandap lamented.

She noted that migrant smuggling has become “more complex and transnational,” fuelled by highly organised criminal networks.

The Comptroller General explained that the NIS, in collaboration with local and international partners, has adopted a multi-dimensional approach to tackle the menace, including strengthening legal and institutional frameworks, expanding public awareness campaigns, and enhancing inter-agency cooperation.

Related Posts

Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

  Iran put to death over 2,150 people last year, a “staggering” increase that pushed recorded worldwide executions to their highest level since 1981, Amnesty International said Monday. Amnesty said…

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

  The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern. In a statement…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 3 views
Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 3 views
Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 3 views
SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 10 views
WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

Five die in Abuja building collapse

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 12 views
Five die in Abuja building collapse

17 policemen confirmed killed in Yobe

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 14 views
17 policemen confirmed killed in Yobe