Katsina defends planned release of 70 suspected bandits, says it’s part of peace efforts

 

The Katsina state government has defended its decision to facilitate the release of 70 suspected bandits.

In an interview with DCL Hausa, Nasir Muazu, commissioner for internal security and home affairs, the government described the move as essential to consolidating community-driven peace agreements with “repentant bandits” in several LGAs.

The commissioner’s remarks arrived on the heels of widespread criticism of the government’s plan. A document on the move had been leaked to the press.

The letter, issued by the state government, dated January 2, 2026, and marked ‘SECRET’, was reportedly addressed to the chief judge, requesting the intervention of the Administration of Criminal Justice Monitoring Committee (ACJMC) on the facilitation of the release of suspected bandits in custody.

The document was said to have cited section 371(2) of the Administration of Criminal Justice Law of Katsina, 2021, and described the action as one of the conditions for sustaining peace accords signed between frontline LGAs and armed groups.

It noted that while some suspects had been arraigned at the federal high court, others remain in detention, awaiting trial at magistrate courts, with an additional list of about 22 inmates facing high court proceedings also submitted for consideration.

‘UNDERMINING THE LAW’

The government’s request sparked outrage among legal practitioners, civil society organisations, and the public.

Critics argued that releasing suspects accused of serious crimes risks undermining the rule of law, denying justice to victims, and potentially emboldening criminal networks.

In his response, Muazu said the initiative is part of broader reconciliation efforts that have already yielded results.

He said the initiative has led to the release of nearly 1,000 abducted persons across multiple LGAs.

He said these releases stemmed from structured negotiations involving the communities.

Muazu likened the arrangement to post-conflict prisoner exchanges, citing Nigeria’s civil war, Boko Haram negotiations, and global best practices.

He said banditry remains a crime under Nigerian law, insisting that the peace process driven by affected communities has prioritised hostage release and stability, over prolonged detention.

“People know that normally, after a war, there are a lot of changes so people negotiate and agreed to release the people,” the commissioner said.

“‘If you can release our people, we too we will release yours’. It happens after wars. Even here in Nigeria during the civil war, a lot of people were released from both parties, and even Boko Haram members too were released. Even those Chibok girls that were released. So, wether it’s good or bad, it’s not new in the history of war and peace.

“Both kidnappers and Boko Haram members are doing the wrong thing. According to Nigerian law, it’s a crime. And here in Katsina, it’s both people and the bandits that negotiated and agreed we followed due process at least 15 steps before finalising.

“They agreed to release all the remaining people that they kidnapped. In Safana LGA, they already released 36 people, Kurmi 42, Sabuwa 310, Faskari 136, Dan Musa 60, Manunfashi 36, Musawa 28, Matazu 33, Dutsinma 62, Jibiya 31, and Bakori 125. It happened openly and was even posted on social media.

“And also both parties agreed that the bandits can now be going to markets, hospitals, and do what they want freely. The negotiation is between them and the people and they already released almost 1,000 people in Katsina state.

“They agreed to be in peace, I think what we should do now is to be prayerful for peace. Now Jibiya, Batsari, Safana, Dan Musa, Sabuwa, Faskari, Dan Dume, Bakori, Musawa, Matazu, Kurfi, Dutsinma, and other places are now in peace.

“What we should do is to thank God.”

Related Posts

Over 20 People Feared Killed In Attack On Plateau Community

  Over twenty people, including women and children, are feared killed, with others still missing, in an attack on Amper, in the BWI district of the Mangu Local Government Area…

Gunmen kill residents in attack on Benue communities

  Gunmen invaded communities in Ukum LGA of Benue early Sunday morning, killing several residents and injuring others. The attack was said to have happened in Mbaterem, Ayaba, Ikpur, Yina,…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

Police Arrest Suspected Mastermind Of Mangu Attack That Killed 25

  • By admin
  • August 19, 2026
  • 3 views
Police Arrest Suspected Mastermind Of Mangu Attack That Killed 25

Tinubu redirects EFCC-recovered funds, unclaimed dividends to student loan scheme

  • By admin
  • August 19, 2026
  • 2 views
Tinubu redirects EFCC-recovered funds, unclaimed dividends to student loan scheme

Gunfire erupts in Osogbo as hoodlums attack Adeleke’s convoy

  • By admin
  • August 19, 2026
  • 6 views
Gunfire erupts in Osogbo as hoodlums attack Adeleke’s convoy

Police kill two suspected kidnappers, recover arms in Anambra

  • By admin
  • August 19, 2026
  • 6 views
Police kill two suspected kidnappers, recover arms in Anambra

Many tourists feared dead as helicopter crashes in Kenya

  • By admin
  • August 19, 2026
  • 5 views
Many tourists feared dead as helicopter crashes in Kenya

Iran’s armed forces warn Gulf countries against assisting US military

  • By admin
  • August 19, 2026
  • 11 views
Iran’s armed forces warn Gulf countries against assisting US military