Middle East war: 1,900 civilians killed, 30 universities hit – Iran

 

Iran has alleged that more than 1,900 civilians, including women and children, have been killed following what it described as coordinated military aggression by United States and Israeli forces against the Islamic Republic.

The claim was disclosed on Saturday during a media briefing by the Secretary General of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, who also revealed that at least 20,000 others have sustained varying degrees of injuries in the ongoing attacks.

Iran’s Minister of Science, Hossein Simayi Sarraf, said the country’s educational infrastructure had been severely impacted, alleging that at least 30 universities were hit in the strikes.

Sarraf described the development as a “crime against humanity,” adding that the targeting of scientific and civilian facilities showed that the aggressors had “regressed to the Stone Age.”

Meanwhile, Iran’s Foreign Minister, Abbas Araghchi, warned of the risks posed by repeated attacks on the Bushehr nuclear power plant.

In a post on X (formerly Twitter), Araghchi said the facility had been bombed four times by what he called a U.S.-Israeli alliance.

“Radioactive fallout will end life in GCC (Gulf Cooperation Council) capitals, not Tehran,” he warned.

The minister also criticised what he termed the “hypocrisy” of Western powers, comparing the situation to the global concern over hostilities near Ukraine’s Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant.

He further argued that strikes on Iran’s petrochemical sector indicate broader objectives, alleging that the campaign is aimed at crippling the country’s economy alongside its civilian and scientific infrastructure.

Humanitarian organisations say the situation remains critical, as efforts continue to respond to the growing number of casualties amid sustained bombardments across Iranian territory.

Related Posts

Togo grants 30-day visa-free access to all African citizens

  Africans with a valid passport can now travel to Togo without visas after the West African nation announced a new open-border policy for the continent. The visa-free access would…

Nigerian athlete shot dead days before MBA graduation in US

    The Nigerian sporting community is mourning the death of Oluwabukola Pereira, who was shot dead in the United States, US just days before she was due to graduate…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

Togo grants 30-day visa-free access to all African citizens

  • By admin
  • May 19, 2026
  • 3 views
Togo grants 30-day visa-free access to all African citizens

NYSC Corps member stabs father three times to death in Abuja

  • By admin
  • May 19, 2026
  • 5 views
NYSC Corps member stabs father three times to death in Abuja

Nigerian athlete shot dead days before MBA graduation in US

  • By admin
  • May 19, 2026
  • 8 views
Nigerian athlete shot dead days before MBA graduation in US

Estimated DR Congo Ebola Death Toll Jumps To 131

  • By admin
  • May 19, 2026
  • 7 views
Estimated DR Congo Ebola Death Toll Jumps To 131

US moves to revoke citizenship of Nigerian convicted in $11.6m fraud case

  • By admin
  • May 19, 2026
  • 9 views
US moves to revoke citizenship of Nigerian convicted in $11.6m fraud case

Seven soldiers, civilian feared killed in Lakurawa Sokoto ambush

  • By admin
  • May 19, 2026
  • 11 views
Seven soldiers, civilian feared killed in Lakurawa Sokoto ambush