Iran hangs two convicted of links with Israel in pre-war protests

 

Iran executed two men on Sunday, convicted of acting on behalf of Israel and the United States during a wave of anti-government protests earlier this year, the judiciary said.

“Mohammad-Amin Biglari and Shahin Vahedparast were hanged after the case was reviewed and the final verdict was confirmed by the Supreme Court,” the judiciary’s Mizan Online website said.

The two men were involved in the anti-government protests that peaked in January, it added.

The demonstrations broke out in late December over rising living costs before spreading nationwide and evolving into anti-government protests that peaked on January 8 and 9.

Iranian authorities said the rallies began peacefully before turning into “foreign-instigated riots” involving killings and vandalism.

Iran has carried out multiple executions in recent days of people linked to the protests or opposition groups, including members of the banned People’s Mujahedin (MEK).

The executions come against the backdrop of Iran’s war with Israel and the United States, which erupted on February 28 with strikes that killed the Islamic Republic’s supreme leader, Ali Khamenei.

On Saturday, Iran executed two members of the MEK after four other convicted members of the group were put to death earlier in the week.

On Thursday, it also executed a man convicted of acting on behalf of Israel and the United States during the protests, following similar executions of three others last month.

Tehran has said more than 3,000 people were killed during the unrest, including members of the security forces and bystanders, attributing the violence to “terrorist acts”.

The US-based Human Rights Activists News Agency (HRANA), however, said it had recorded more than 7,000 deaths, the vast majority of them protesters, adding that the toll could be higher.

AFP

Related Posts

Wike orders demolition of houses built on waterways after FCT flooding

  Federal Capital Territory Minister, Nyesom Wike, has ordered the demolition of houses built on designated water channels in Abuja, warning that structures obstructing waterways will be removed. Wike gave…

NDLEA seizes 184kg of cocaine from Lagos courier firm, arrests socialite KC Luxury

  The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) says its operatives have seized 184.5 kilogrammes of cocaine from a courier company. The agency described the operation as its largest seizure…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

Wike orders demolition of houses built on waterways after FCT flooding

  • By admin
  • August 18, 2026
  • 5 views
Wike orders demolition of houses built on waterways after FCT flooding

Over 20 People Feared Killed In Attack On Plateau Community

  • By admin
  • August 18, 2026
  • 3 views
Over 20 People Feared Killed In Attack On Plateau Community

Cement cheaper in Kenya, Togo than Nigeria — FCCPC probe

  • By admin
  • August 18, 2026
  • 4 views
Cement cheaper in Kenya, Togo than Nigeria — FCCPC probe

Wike: I’d have helped Tinubu win Osun if he wanted — Adeleke could do nothing

  • By admin
  • August 18, 2026
  • 5 views
Wike: I’d have helped Tinubu win Osun if he wanted — Adeleke could do nothing

US lifts 12-year restriction on vessels calling at Nigerian ports

  • By admin
  • August 18, 2026
  • 5 views
US lifts 12-year restriction on vessels calling at Nigerian ports

NDLEA seizes 184kg of cocaine from Lagos courier firm, arrests socialite KC Luxury

  • By admin
  • August 18, 2026
  • 7 views
NDLEA seizes 184kg of cocaine from Lagos courier firm, arrests socialite KC Luxury