Mob kills two suspected kidnappers in Delta community

 

The Delta State Police Command has assured residents of Mosogar and Oghara communities in the Ethiope West Local Government Area that a thorough investigation is ongoing into the mob killing of two youths suspected of kidnapping.

It was gathered that last Thursday, a mob in Mosogar whisked away, assaulted and set ablaze the two youths.

The Police Public Relations Officer for the Delta Command, SP Bright Edafe, confirmed this while speaking with journalists in Warri on Wednesday.

Edafe said, “The police are on the trail of the vigilante leader and the community leader who masterminded the mob action.

“Some lawless vigilante personnel from Mosogar had gone to a community in Oghara and abducted three persons, claiming they were kidnappers, but one of the boys escaped and was rescued after running to a nearby police station. An angry mob in Mosogar overpowered the vigilante and set ablaze the other two persons.”

“We are currently on the trail of the vigilante leader as well as the community leader who masterminded that act to see that they are brought to justice. We are using this opportunity to call on residents in the area to remain calm and guarantee them that justice must be served.”

Meanwhile, the Oghara Elite Forum, a socio-cultural organisation in Delta State strongly condemned the extra-judicial killings, calling for the swift intervention of security agencies “to avert a possible breakdown of law and order between the Oghara and nearby Mosogar Kingdoms.”

The group urged the Chairman of Ethiope West Local Government Area, Christian Onogba, “to quickly set machinery in motion and judiciously revisit the matter to calm already frayed nerves.”

In a statement signed by its President-General, Jacob Ighere, following an extraordinary meeting in Oghara, the OEF maintained that “the manner Mosogar youths raided Ijomi community in Oghara Kingdom, forcefully whisked the deceased suspects to Mosogar, and allegedly slaughtered them extra-judiciously was condemnable.”

Warning against escalation, the Forum stated, “Communal war could leave in its wake more losses of lives and properties.”

The group appealed to the Delta State Commissioner of Police and relevant state peace and conflict resolution agencies to “ensure justice in the matter without delay before it snowballs into communal war.”

While calling for calm, the OEF also “enjoined the royal fathers of Oghara and Mosogar Kingdoms to convene town hall meetings to calm frayed nerves.”

Related Posts

Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

  Iran put to death over 2,150 people last year, a “staggering” increase that pushed recorded worldwide executions to their highest level since 1981, Amnesty International said Monday. Amnesty said…

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

  The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern. In a statement…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

Nigeria, US forces killled over 20 ISWAP fighters in fresh operation -DHQ

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 11 views
Nigeria, US forces killled over 20 ISWAP fighters in fresh operation -DHQ

Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 4 views
Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher

Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 4 views
Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 4 views
Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 4 views
SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 10 views
WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda