Nationwide blackout looms as electricity workers threatens strike — Report

 

Electricity consumers relying on the national grid may face a prolonged blackout within hours as the National Union of Electricity Employees on Wednesday began a nationwide strike over unresolved labour disputes with the Transmission Company of Nigeria.

The union, in a circular signed by its Acting General Secretary, Dominic Igwebike, directed its members across the country to withdraw their services indefinitely until management addresses long-standing welfare and operational concerns.

According to NUEE, the strike became inevitable after the expiration of an ultimatum issued to TCN, accusing the company of failing to address grievances bordering on poor staff welfare, non-provision of essential tools, and disregard for workers’ rights.

“Unfortunately, the TCN management has decided to handle these issues with kid gloves and with a lack of regard for the hardworking staff of TCN,” the notice read in part.

“We cannot continue to fold our arms while we watch our rights being violated and the Nigerian Electricity Supply Industry going down the drain. To this end, the Union is compelled to withdraw its services”, it added.

The union listed its demands to include, “Implementation of the National Minimum Wage, end to casualisation of workers, provision of working tools and materials, payment of staff salaries owed since April 2025.

“Provision of operational vehicles, supply of Personal Protective Equipment, last provided in 2021, resolution of issues arising from the unbundling of TCN and payment of outstanding retirement benefits.”

The directive, which takes immediate effect, mandates “total compliance” from all electricity workers nationwide.

The development raises fears of another wave of power outages across the country.

NUEE had previously shut down operations in June 2024, a move that crippled power supply in many states and forced the Federal Government into emergency negotiations.

Efforts to obtain a reaction from the TCN spokesperson, Ndidi Mbah, proved unsuccessful as she did not respond to calls or messages at the time of filing this report.

The strike comes amid repeated government promises to reform the power sector, which has struggled with low generation, poor infrastructure, and labour unrest despite years of privatisation and interventions.

Related Posts

Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

  Drone strikes by the Malian army on Sunday killed at least 10 civilians as they prepared to celebrate a traditional mass wedding, security and local sources told AFP. The…

Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

  Iran put to death over 2,150 people last year, a “staggering” increase that pushed recorded worldwide executions to their highest level since 1981, Amnesty International said Monday. Amnesty said…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 1 views
Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 3 views
Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 3 views
SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 10 views
WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

Five die in Abuja building collapse

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 11 views
Five die in Abuja building collapse

17 policemen confirmed killed in Yobe

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 12 views
17 policemen confirmed killed in Yobe