‘Now disgraced country’, Peter Obi asks FG to pay Supe Eagles their allowances

 

Peter Obi, former presidential candidate, has described the Super Eagles protesting unpaid allowances as “what is found in a now disgraced country”.

On Tuesday, the Super Eagles players and officials boycotted their scheduled evening training session due to outstanding payment owed by the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF).

The players are yet to receive their allowances for qualifying for the 2025 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) and the 2026 World Cup playoff.

Reacting to the situation, Obi, in a tweet on X, said it is “unfortunate” that the players are owed while “we always seem to find money to waste on needless lavish spending and political patronage”.

“That is what is found in a ‘now disgraced country’,” the tweet reads.

“When those who serve their country are not treated with dignity, it sends the wrong message to our youth, that hard work and service are not rewarded. Those who represent Nigeria deserves to be paid promptly and treated with respect. We must do better.”

US President Donald Trump had called Nigeria a “now disgraced country” a few weeks ago while threatening military action over alleged Christian persecution in the country.

The Super Eagles play Gabon in one of the semi-finals for the 2026 African World Cup playoffs on Thursday.

The winner of the match will face either Congo DR or Cameroon in the final to clinch the sole slot to represent Africa at the intercontinental playoff.

The players are not expected back in training except the outstanding issue is addressed.

Related Posts

Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

  Iran put to death over 2,150 people last year, a “staggering” increase that pushed recorded worldwide executions to their highest level since 1981, Amnesty International said Monday. Amnesty said…

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

  The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern. In a statement…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

Nigeria, US forces killled over 20 ISWAP fighters in fresh operation -DHQ

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 10 views
Nigeria, US forces killled over 20 ISWAP fighters in fresh operation -DHQ

Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 4 views
Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher

Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 3 views
Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 3 views
Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 3 views
SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 10 views
WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda