PH Refinery Operational After ‘Minor’ Fire Incident – NNPCL

 

The Port Harcourt Refinery is one of the state-owned plants which recently came back on stream.

The Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL) on Wednesday said a minor fire incident recorded at the Port Harcourt Refining Company (PHRC) was immediately put out.

 

NNPCL spokesman Olufemi Soneye, in a statement, said reports of an explosion rocking the refinery was false.

He said after the minor incident, “the plant remains operational and continues to produce on-spec refined petroleum products”.

The company assured Nigerians that “there is no cause for concern, as all sections of the recently rehabilitated plant are in full operation”.

In November 2024, after a long period of rehabilitation, the NNPCL said the Port Harcourt refinery had commenced production of petroleum products.

In February 2025, the NNPCL reduced its retail price of petrol from ₦945 to ₦860 in Lagos, with a similar price reduction reflection at its outlets in other states of the Federation.

The price reduction was NNPCL direct reaction to the drop in the ex-depot price of petrol from ₦890 to ₦825 per litre by the Dangote Refinery.

On the price war, economist Paul Alaje said Nigerians should be happy there is no agreement between NNPCL and Dangote Refinery. “More of the competition should go on,” the economist said, noting that “if any of them fizzle out, be ready to buy (petrol) at over ₦1,000 again.”

 

The NNPCL has also stopped the sale of crude to Dangote Refinery in Naira.

Related Posts

Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

  Iran put to death over 2,150 people last year, a “staggering” increase that pushed recorded worldwide executions to their highest level since 1981, Amnesty International said Monday. Amnesty said…

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

  The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern. In a statement…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 3 views
Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 3 views
Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 3 views
SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 10 views
WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

Five die in Abuja building collapse

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 12 views
Five die in Abuja building collapse

17 policemen confirmed killed in Yobe

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 14 views
17 policemen confirmed killed in Yobe