Six dead, many injured, 14 vehicles burnt in Abuja accident– Police

 

The Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Police Command has confirmed that six persons died while fourteen vehicles were burnt in vehicle accidents.

Police said the accident occurred when a Dangote trailer, heavily loaded with cement and approaching Nyanya Bridge from AYA, lost control and crashed into stationary vehicles trapped in traffic.

The remains of the six victims, police said have been deposited at the Karu General Hospital mortuary.

The fire occurred around 7.14 pm on Wednesday.

A statement by the FCT Police Public Relations Officer, SP Josphine Adeh said: “The FCT Police Command deeply regrets to confirm a devastating motor vehicle accident that occurred today, March 19, 2025, at about 6:58 PM before Nyanya Bridge.

 

“A distress call was received by Karu Division reporting a horrifying scene—a Dangote trailer, heavily loaded with cement and approaching Nyanya Bridge from AYA, had lost control and crashed into stationary vehicles trapped in traffic.

“The impact engulfed fourteen vehicles in a raging inferno. Panic and chaos followed as bystanders and motorists scrambled for safety. Emergency responders rushed to the scene, battling thick smoke and intense heat to rescue those trapped.

“Six victims were pulled from the wreckage and rushed to the hospital, but tragically, they were confirmed dead by medical personnel on duty. Their remains have been deposited at Karu General Hospital Morgue”.

Adeh said Police operatives, in collaboration with fire service personnel, other security agencies, and courageous individuals at the scene, contained the inferno, and normal traffic flow had been restored.

She said: “The FCT Police Command extends its deepest condolences to the families of the victims and assures the public that a thorough investigation is underway to determine the cause of this disaster and prevent future occurrences.

“Members of the public are strongly urged to exercise caution and adhere to speed limits while driving, especially in high-traffic areas. Safe driving habits can prevent tragedies like this and save lives.

“Residents are also encouraged to remain vigilant and report emergencies or suspicious activities through the FCT Command emergency numbers: 08032003913, 08028940883, 07057337653. Complaint Response Unit: 08107314192”.

The Ag. Director General of the FCT Emergency Management Department, Engr. Abdulrahman Mohammed has commiserated with the victims and families affected by the tragic truck fire incident at Karu bridge, along Keffi road in the FCT.

According to Head, Public Affairs, FCT Emergency Management Department, Nkechi Isa, Preliminary reports indicate that the incident was caused by an open-body trailer powered by Compressed Natural Gas (CNG).

She said some of the victims were taken to the National hospital, Asokoro Hospital, State House clinic, Custom hospital and Nyanya General hospital for treatment.

Meanwhile, she said Engr Abdulrahman Mohammed has urged all drivers to exercise caution on the roads and obey traffic rules and regulations to prevent similar occurrences.

Related Posts

Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

  Iran put to death over 2,150 people last year, a “staggering” increase that pushed recorded worldwide executions to their highest level since 1981, Amnesty International said Monday. Amnesty said…

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

  The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern. In a statement…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 3 views
Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 3 views
Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 3 views
SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 10 views
WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

Five die in Abuja building collapse

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 12 views
Five die in Abuja building collapse

17 policemen confirmed killed in Yobe

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 14 views
17 policemen confirmed killed in Yobe