P&ID: British court grants Nigeria more time to appeal $9.6bn judgment


A London court on Friday gave Nigeria ’ s government more time to appeal in a long -running multi- billion – dollar arbitration case over a failed gas deal .

Process & Industrial Developments ( P & ID ) secured a High Court ruling last August to begin seizing $9. 6 billion in assets – about one- fifth of the country’ s foreign reserves.

FG appealed the decision in September , despite having missed a deadline to do so , and was given a stay of execution provided it made a $200 million security payment .

In a ruling handed to the parties Friday, Commercial Court judge Ross Cranston granted Nigeria more time to prepare its challenge with new evidence .

“ I grant Nigeria ’ s applications for an extension of time and relief from sanctions , ” he said in a written judgment .

Nigeria ’ s attorney general ’ s office said the decision was a “ major victory in our ongoing fight… to overturn the injustice of the multi-billion dollar arbitral award” .

It added : “ FG will now proceed to a full trial of the issues , where the FRN’ s substantive application to finally set aside the award will be heard . ”

Attorney General spokesman Umar Jibrilu Gwandu said the government had unearthed new evidence that the deal was “ designed to fail from the start and that its subsequent arbitral award was based on fraud and corruption” .

It added , “ We are firmly committed to overturning the award — no matter how long it takes — to ensure that this money goes towards Nigeria ’ s future. ”

The dispute centres around a 2010 deal between Nigeria and P& ID Ltd for a plant to turn natural gas burned off during oil production into electricity.

But the deal fell through , sparking the protracted legal wrangle that saw the firm claim vast sums in lost revenues.

President Muhammadu Buhari’ s administration , which inherited the case when he came to power in 2015, alleges “ massive fraud in procuring the award” .

P& ID was awarded $6. 6 billion in arbitration in 2017 as compensation for losses and the sum has since risen to nearly $10 billion with interest.

Nigeria countered last year by opening its own corruption investigation into the deal, and in October charged two British nationals with fraud and money laundering .

Two local representatives of P& ID were convicted of tax evasion and fraud , and the company’ s assets were ordered to be forfeited to the government.

  • Related Posts

    Catholic priest allegedly attacked after Mass in Enugu

      A Catholic priest, Rev. Fr. Valentine Chimaobi Nwajiagu, was allegedly attacked on Sunday by a member of the Knights of St. John International, Sir Iyke Nwatakwocha, at St. Anthony…

    Woman arrested for stealing newborn in Kebbi

      The Kebbi State Police Command has arrested a 19-year-old woman, Khadija Ibrahim, for allegedly stealing a newborn baby in Zuru Local Government Area of the state and presenting the…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Idiaye Emerges Edo Assembly Speaker As Agbebaku Resigns

    • By admin
    • August 17, 2026
    • 11 views
    Idiaye Emerges Edo Assembly Speaker As Agbebaku Resigns

    Catholic priest allegedly attacked after Mass in Enugu

    • By admin
    • August 17, 2026
    • 4 views
    Catholic priest allegedly attacked after Mass in Enugu

    Woman arrested for stealing newborn in Kebbi

    • By admin
    • August 17, 2026
    • 7 views
    Woman arrested for stealing newborn in Kebbi

    Frozen Account: I’ve Instructed My Attorney General To Drop Suit Against EFCC — Adeleke

    • By admin
    • August 17, 2026
    • 7 views
    Frozen Account: I’ve Instructed My Attorney General To Drop Suit Against EFCC — Adeleke

    Gunmen kill residents in attack on Benue communities

    • By admin
    • August 17, 2026
    • 11 views
    Gunmen kill residents in attack on Benue communities

    INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun gov poll

    • By admin
    • August 16, 2026
    • 8 views
    INEC declares Adeleke winner of Osun gov poll