Protest: Brutalized brother, lawyer of Nnamdi Kanu still being held by Police

 

As at the time of filing this report, the Nigerian Police were still keeping Prince Emmanuel Kanu, the brother of detained IPOB leader Nnamdi Kanu, and his lawyer, Aloy Ejimakor, in their custody.

Both men who were arrested during the #FreeNnamdiKanuNow demonstration in Abuja on Monday, remain in the custody of the FCT Police Command, Abuja .

It will be noted that peaceful protest was met with a heavy-handed response from security forces. Eyewitness accounts and social media posts from those involved detail violence and indiscriminate arrests.

CrimeFacts News Monday Exclusive Cover Page

Human rights activist Omoyele Sowore confirmed the developments, stating on his social media handles: “The Police team deployed to brutalize #FreeNnamdiKanuNow protesters arrested Nnamdi Kanu’s brother and his lawyer, Aloy Ejimakor, as well as innocent bystanders.
They were beaten and taken to the FCT command. The police must release them immediately.”

From inside the police facility, Barrister Ejimakor himself posted: “We’ve just been arrested. Myself, Prince Emanuel and others. We are at FCT COMMAND CID.”

The police crackdown began even before the protest was fully underway. Security operatives fired tear gas canisters to disperse gatherings in the Transcorp Hilton area, causing panic among protesters, commuters, and roadside traders.

Witnesses reported that the chaos erupted as people were simply heading to work, with one stating, “There were no protesters yet; people were just moving around as usual when suddenly the police started firing tear gas.”

Despite warnings from the Nigeria Police Force to “stay clear of restricted areas,” organizers had vowed to proceed with the protest, demanding the release of Nnamdi Kanu and accusing the government of contempt of court. In response, a major security lockdown was imposed across strategic parts of the capital, with soldiers and DSS operatives deployed to key locations.

Related Posts

Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

  Iran put to death over 2,150 people last year, a “staggering” increase that pushed recorded worldwide executions to their highest level since 1981, Amnesty International said Monday. Amnesty said…

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

  The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern. In a statement…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

Nigeria, US forces killled over 20 ISWAP fighters in fresh operation -DHQ

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 10 views
Nigeria, US forces killled over 20 ISWAP fighters in fresh operation -DHQ

Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 4 views
Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher

Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 3 views
Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 3 views
Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 3 views
SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 10 views
WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda