“Soldiers from Niger Republic protecting Sokoto residents from bandits, not Nigerian soldiers”

Nigerians living in Sokoto state have been abandoned by the Nigerian military in a wave of violent attacks by bandits and terrorists.

Premium Times reports that the Senator representing Sokoto East, Ibrahim Gobir maintains that residents of the State now rely on the soldiers of Niger Republic for protection against armed bandits as the Nigerian Army has completely abandoned them.

Gobir who also said that no fewer than 5000 residents of Sokoto state have had to flee to Niger republic for safety made the disclosure Tuesday at plenary while contributing to a motion on insecurity.

The motion, sponsored by Sabi Abdullahi, sought urgent military action against banditry in Niger State.
Mr Gobir said the Sokoto attacks have been worse than any other parts of the country. And within the last three months, “not fewer than 300 people in Sokoto East Senatorial District have either been killed or kidnapped by the rampaging armed bandits on daily basis.”

“The situation in Sokoto East as far as armed banditry is concerned, is pathetic and tragic because it is only sldiers from Niger republic that had been coming to their rescue while the Nigerian Army looks the other way.
“Infact, based on very reliable and verifiable information from the area, on many occasions, that the people of the affected areas called on the Nigerian Army for help and protection against the bandits, they got no response.

“But graciously, the soldiers from the republic of Niger have been assisting in warding off the bandits.
And this situation left residents living in the affected areas no choice but flee to Niger for safety.

Mr Gobir said the region is faced with famine and grinding poverty as hundreds of cows and other animals worth about N2.5 billion, have been stolen by the bandits.

He regretted that the affected communities do not get any help whatsoever from either the military or the Police.
In his remark, the Senate President, Ahmad Lawan, said the security challenges are enormous but surmountable.
The Senate in its resolutions, as usual, appealed to President Buhari to expand the scope of the operations to include Zamfara, Kaduna, Niger and Sokoto States and any other surrounding areas or states that the armed bandits may want to seek safe haven following the massive clampdown by the military in other areas.

Source: Premium Times

  • Related Posts

    Terrorists planning to attack Sokoto tertiary institutions – DSS

      The Department of State Services, DSS, Sokoto State Command, has issued a stark security warning over intelligence indicating plans by terrorists and bandit groups to attack tertiary institutions across…

    Gunmen kill police inspector, seven others in Adamawa

      Suspected Boko Haram insurgents on Monday night attacked Gaya community in Hong Local Government Area of Adamawa State, killing a police inspector and seven civilians. The Chairman of Hong…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    47 dead as boat capsizes in Sokoto

    • By admin
    • August 20, 2026
    • 2 views
    47 dead as boat capsizes in Sokoto

    Terrorists planning to attack Sokoto tertiary institutions – DSS

    • By admin
    • August 20, 2026
    • 4 views
    Terrorists planning to attack Sokoto tertiary institutions – DSS

    UK warns citizens against travel to 11 Nigerian states

    • By admin
    • August 20, 2026
    • 4 views
    UK warns citizens against travel to 11 Nigerian states

    Trump Threatens Economic Punishment On ‘Any Country’ Helping Iran

    • By admin
    • August 20, 2026
    • 3 views
    Trump Threatens Economic Punishment On ‘Any Country’ Helping Iran

    Atiku: I will restore petrol subsidy if elected president

    • By admin
    • August 20, 2026
    • 4 views
    Atiku: I will restore petrol subsidy if elected president

    Police: 60-year-old man killed after hoodlums clashed with Davido’s security team in Osogbo

    • By admin
    • August 20, 2026
    • 5 views
    Police: 60-year-old man killed after hoodlums clashed with Davido’s security team in Osogbo