US Surgeon-General on COVID-19: “This week, it’s going to get bad”

Monday, the Surgeon General of the United States, Jerome Adams, MD, said on the ‘Today Show’ that this week could get bad for many Americans who will face a growing rise of COVID-19 cases in their communities.

“Everyone needs to act as if they have the virus right now. So, test or no test, we need you to understand you could be spreading it to someone else. Or you could be getting it from someone else. Stay at home,” Adams said, while admonishing young Americans who are still crowding on beaches from coast to coast for not taking national calls for social distancing seriously.

Confirmed U.S. cases rose by 9,541 yesterday, to 42,817, according to the Johns Hopkins online tracker, with 458 associated deaths.

The Washington Post reported that several million Americans have already lost their jobs because of the virus, and the Dow Jones industrial average has lost more than 10,000 points in 6 weeks, dropping below 19,000 points yesterday.

Included in the bill is a provision to send some American households a check for $1,200 in April, and give $350 billion to small businesses who have lost workers and consumers in recent weeks.

Residents in 13 States Now Sheltering in Place
Late last week governors in New York, New Jersey, California, Connecticut, Oregon, and Illinois all told citizens to stay home, except for essential workers.

Over the weekend and through yesterday, governors in Wisconsin, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, West Virginia, Delaware, and Louisiana also issued similar orders.

“I know this has been difficult and has disrupted the lives of people across our state. That’s why issuing a #SaferAtHome order isn’t something I thought we’d have to do, and it’s not something I take lightly,” said Wisconsin Governor Tony Evers on Twitter.  “But here’s the bottom line: folks need to start taking this seriously.”

“You can still get out and walk the dogs—it’s good exercise and it’s good for everyone’s mental health—but please don’t take any other unnecessary trips, and limit your travel to essential needs like going to the doctor, grabbing groceries, or getting medication,” he said.

Governors in Maryland and Massachusetts did not issue shelter-in-place measures, but did order the closing of all non-essential businesses in each state.

Last week Pennsylvania took a similar step

The orders mean more than 100 million Americans or about one third of the country, are under stay-at-home restrictions. But as governors take decisive actions, there were signs on Twitter that President Donald Trump may be considering reversing his “15 days to slow the spread” social distancing campaign, which was announced over a week ago.

“WE CANNOT LET THE CURE BE WORSE THAN THE PROBLEM ITSELF. AT THE END OF THE 15 DAY PERIOD, WE WILL MAKE A DECISION AS TO WHICH WAY WE WANT TO GO!” Trump tweeted late last night.

New York Tops 20,000 Cases


New York Governor Andrew Cuomo late last week also shuttered non-essential businesses, but he calls his plan a “pause” for New York. That order went into effect last night.

New York has emerged as the nation’s biggest hot spot of the coronavirus, with 6% of the cases detected in the world, the New York Times reported.

Monday Cuomo ordered a new directive to state hospitals to increase capacity by at least 50%. Cuomo also announced that a 1,000-bed field hospital will be constructed at the Javits Center and be operational by the end of next week.

Yesterday New York reported a total of  20,875 cases, including 12,305 in New York City. According to the New York Times tracker, there have been 125 deaths in the state.

In Washington state, the first to be hit hard with the virus, case totals stood at 1,996, with 95 deaths.

Source:Homeland Security News Wire

  • Related Posts

    Police arrest ex-presidential aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery

      The police command in Cross River says its operatives have arrested Okoi Obono-Obla, a former presidential adviser, over allegations of forgery and obtaining entry into the legal profession by…

    El-Rufai’s lawyer protests home raid amid ICPC detention

      Former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, on Thursday spent a second night in the custody of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission amid protests by his…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    US supreme court strikes down Trump’s global tariffs

    • By admin
    • February 20, 2026
    • 6 views
    US supreme court strikes down Trump’s global tariffs

    Police arrest ex-presidential aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery

    • By admin
    • February 20, 2026
    • 5 views
    Police arrest ex-presidential aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery

    El-Rufai’s lawyer protests home raid amid ICPC detention

    • By admin
    • February 20, 2026
    • 4 views
    El-Rufai’s lawyer protests home raid amid ICPC detention

    Bandits kill 33 in Kebbi LG deadly attack

    • By admin
    • February 20, 2026
    • 3 views
    Bandits kill 33 in Kebbi LG deadly attack

    Rivers assembly halts impeachment proceedings against Fubara

    • By admin
    • February 19, 2026
    • 4 views
    Rivers assembly halts impeachment proceedings against Fubara

    US court jails Nigerian 8 years over $1.3m cyber fraud

    • By admin
    • February 19, 2026
    • 5 views
    US court jails Nigerian 8 years over $1.3m cyber fraud