UK issues transgender guidance to schools

 

Britain’s ruling Conservative government has issued guidance for schools dealing with children considering changing their gender identity, in a key “culture war” issue likely to feature in the next election.

The education department on Tuesday, said it had published the long-awaited guidelines for schools in England.

This, it said was “in response to the complex phenomenon of the increasing number of children questioning their gender”.

The issue has caused splits in the Tory party, with some right-wingers calling for an outright ban on children identifying as a different gender from their sex at birth.

The transgender guidance states that there is “no general duty to allow a child to ‘social transition’”.

But it adds that pupils “may be allowed to informally change their names if it is in the best interests of the child and parents have been fully consulted”.

Social transitioning can include going by a different name, dressing in a way that may commonly be more associated with the opposite sex and choosing one’s own pronouns.

The advice, which is not mandatory, says that teachers and children “should not be required” to use a child’s preferred pronouns.

It adds that “parents should not be excluded” from decisions taken by a school or college relating to a child’s request to socially transition.

The guidance, now subject to a 12-week consultation, reaffirms that single-sex schools can refuse to admit pupils of the opposite sex, regardless of whether they are questioning their gender.

Women and equalities minister Kemi Badenoch, who styles herself as “anti-woke”, said the guidance “is intended to give teachers and school leaders greater confidence when dealing with an issue that has been hijacked by activists misrepresenting the law”.

But Paul Whiteman, general secretary of the school leaders’ union NAHT, said it appears the guidelines leave “a lot of questions unanswered, meaning school leaders will continue to be placed in an incredibly difficult position”.

Right-wing former prime minister Liz Truss, who ruled for 49 days last year, said in a statement the guidance “does not go far enough”.

She called for a change in the law that will “define sex as biological sex to protect single-sex spaces” and also wants to ban under-18s from accessing puberty blockers.

In March, Prime Minister Rishi Sunak promised that the guidance would be published by the summer.

The advice does not apply to schools in Scotland and Wales, where education is devolved to the local administrations.

  • Related Posts

    Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

      Iran put to death over 2,150 people last year, a “staggering” increase that pushed recorded worldwide executions to their highest level since 1981, Amnesty International said Monday. Amnesty said…

    WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

      The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern. In a statement…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Nigeria, US forces killled over 20 ISWAP fighters in fresh operation -DHQ

    • By admin
    • May 18, 2026
    • 12 views
    Nigeria, US forces killled over 20 ISWAP fighters in fresh operation -DHQ

    Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher

    • By admin
    • May 18, 2026
    • 5 views
    Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher

    Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

    • By admin
    • May 18, 2026
    • 4 views
    Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

    Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

    • By admin
    • May 18, 2026
    • 4 views
    Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

    SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

    • By admin
    • May 18, 2026
    • 4 views
    SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

    WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

    • By admin
    • May 17, 2026
    • 10 views
    WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda