Kogi says all pupils abducted from orphanage have been rescued

 

The Kogi state government on Wednesday said all 23 pupils abducted from the Daarul-Kitab Islamic orphanage in Lokoja have been rescued.

In a statement, Kingsley Fanwo, the commissioner for information and communications, said the remaining nine victims regained their freedom in the early hours of Wednesday following a coordinated security operation.

Gunmen had stormed the orphanage on April 26, abducting the pupils alongside the proprietor’s wife.

The state government had earlier announced the rescue of 15 victims on April 27 amid intensified security operations.

Fanwo described the latest rescue as “a major breakthrough against criminal elements” and a huge relief to the affected families.

He credited troops of the Nigerian Army’s 12 Brigade, supported by other security agencies, for leading the operation in the Agbaja forest axis of Lokoja LGA.

“The operation resulted in the safe recovery of five boys, two girls, and two adult females,” Fanwo said.

“The rescued victims have been evacuated to a military medical facility, where they are receiving proper medical care and attention.”

Usman Ododo, governor of Kogi, commended the army and collaborating security agencies for their professionalism and bravery.

He also praised the resilience of the victims and their families.

“The safety and security of all residents remain the foremost priority of our administration,” Ododo said.

“This successful operation underscores our determination to ensure that criminal elements have no foothold in Kogi.”

The governor reiterated the state’s zero-tolerance policy on kidnapping and other violent crimes, vowing to strengthen security architecture, enhance intelligence gathering, and support security agencies.

He urged residents to remain vigilant and provide timely information to security forces, while assuring that efforts are ongoing to apprehend the perpetrators and bring them to justice.

Related Posts

UK warns citizens against travel to 11 Nigerian states

  The United Kingdom has advised its citizens against all travel to parts of 11 Nigerian states, while warning against all but essential travel to parts of 19 states and…

Police: 60-year-old man killed after hoodlums clashed with Davido’s security team in Osogbo

  The Osun state police command says 60-year-old Tajudeen Yusuf was shot dead in Osogbo on Wednesday shortly after some hoodlums allegedly attempted to gain access to David Adeleke, popularly…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

47 dead as boat capsizes in Sokoto

  • By admin
  • August 20, 2026
  • 2 views
47 dead as boat capsizes in Sokoto

Terrorists planning to attack Sokoto tertiary institutions – DSS

  • By admin
  • August 20, 2026
  • 4 views
Terrorists planning to attack Sokoto tertiary institutions – DSS

UK warns citizens against travel to 11 Nigerian states

  • By admin
  • August 20, 2026
  • 4 views
UK warns citizens against travel to 11 Nigerian states

Trump Threatens Economic Punishment On ‘Any Country’ Helping Iran

  • By admin
  • August 20, 2026
  • 3 views
Trump Threatens Economic Punishment On ‘Any Country’ Helping Iran

Atiku: I will restore petrol subsidy if elected president

  • By admin
  • August 20, 2026
  • 4 views
Atiku: I will restore petrol subsidy if elected president

Police: 60-year-old man killed after hoodlums clashed with Davido’s security team in Osogbo

  • By admin
  • August 20, 2026
  • 5 views
Police: 60-year-old man killed after hoodlums clashed with Davido’s security team in Osogbo