Nigerian jailed 10 years for raping teen in UK

 

A 29-year-old Nigerian man, Chiemka Okoronta, has been sentenced to 10 years imprisonment for raping a 17-year-old girl after offering to share a taxi with her when her bus terminated unexpectedly in Leeds, United Kingdom.

According to BBC on Monday, Okoronta, who was convicted of multiple rape offences, was told he was likely to be deported following his sentence.

Okoronta, of Morley Street, Bradford, was the only other passenger on the night bus when it stopped at Morley on March 25.

The court heard that the victim, who was heading home to Bradford, had little money left, and her phone battery had died.

Prosecutors said Okoronta, a postgraduate student, offered to share a taxi but instead directed the driver to his flat, where he lured the teenager inside and raped her in a locked toilet.

The victim managed to escape after the assault and stopped a passer-by to use their phone to call the police.

At Bradford Crown Court, Okoronta was convicted of three counts of rape and will also serve three years on an extended licence and remain on the sex offenders register for life.

The court was told he would be deported to Nigeria after completing his sentence.

In a statement read to the court, the victim said the incident had left her traumatised and fearful of public spaces.

“It turned my life upside down. I have flashbacks and nightmares. I can’t take a bus without feeling uncomfortable and I avoid Bradford city centre now,” she said.

Sentencing him, Judge Sophie McKone described Okoronta as a “dangerous sexual predator” who took advantage of a vulnerable teenager.

“You knew she was miles from home, had no working phone, and little money. I am satisfied that when you offered to share a taxi, you had already formulated a plan to get her back to your address where you could rape her,” the judge said.

Detective Constable Sue Sutcliffe, of West Yorkshire Police, commended the victim for her bravery in reporting the crime.

“I would like to commend the victim for her immense courage in coming forward straight away to report this horrific offence. I would urge anyone who has been the victim of a sexual offence to please report it to us so we can take action,” she said.

Related Posts

Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

  Iran put to death over 2,150 people last year, a “staggering” increase that pushed recorded worldwide executions to their highest level since 1981, Amnesty International said Monday. Amnesty said…

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

  The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern. In a statement…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 1 views
Mali Military Drone Strikes Kill At Least 10 Civilians

Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 2 views
Iran Tops List As Global Executions Hit Highest Level Since 1981 — Amnesty International

SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

  • By admin
  • May 18, 2026
  • 3 views
SERAP seeks INEC probe of alleged N800bn political fund

WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 10 views
WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak in Congo, Uganda

Five die in Abuja building collapse

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 11 views
Five die in Abuja building collapse

17 policemen confirmed killed in Yobe

  • By admin
  • May 17, 2026
  • 12 views
17 policemen confirmed killed in Yobe